40

As FP2 roared on at the track, Alexandra seized her moment of opportunity

As FP2 roared on at the track, Alexandra seized her moment of opportunity. With determination guiding her steps, she made her way through the bustling paddock until she entered the Red Bull garage. There, amidst the constant hum of activity, she spotted Max's engineer, GP, and offered a friendly greeting.

"Hey, GP. Can you do me a favor? Could you radio Christian for me and let him know I'm looking for him?"

GP nodded with a knowing smile. "Of course, Alexandra. I'll make sure he gets the message."

A few moments later, as the cars continued to roar on the track, Christian emerged from the hustle and bustle of FP2, meeting Alexandra with an awkward yet polite greeting. Their unspoken history lingered in the air, mingling with the scent of rubber and the roar of engines.

He gestured towards his office in the garage, but Alexandra hesitated, her eyes flickering with uncertainty. "Actually, I was thinking... somewhere a bit more private."

Christian's understanding was swift, and he suggested, "My main office in the Red Bull building should be empty. Everyone's in the garage for the practice session."

She nodded, her gratitude evident, and they exchanged no more words as they slipped away unnoticed. Side by side, they navigated the familiar terrain in silence, the weight of their past and the unspoken tensions between them hanging in the air.

Finally reaching the office, Christian locked the door and pulled down the blinds, enveloping the room in a cocoon of privacy. He crossed to his desk and flipped a switch, illuminating a small light outside the door to signal to his team that he was in a meeting.

Turning towards Alexandra, he spoke in a hushed tone. "That should keep us undisturbed. Can I offer you some coffee?"

She nodded, a small smile tugging at her lips. "Coffee sounds perfect, thanks."

With a sense of purpose, Christian efficiently prepared two mugs of coffee. The clinking of porcelain and the soft hiss of the coffee machine seemed to punctuate the tension between them.

Eventually, they found themselves seated on opposite sides of a small coffee table, each perched on a blue sofa. Alexandra cradled the mug between her palms, her gaze locked on the swirling steam rising from the cup. Christian's posture was more relaxed, though the lines of his face bore the weight of the years gone by.

As they sat there in intimate silence, both were acutely aware of the unspoken emotions that had led them to this moment. The room seemed to hold its breath as they grappled with the uncharted territory they were about to explore.

The silence between them hung heavy, each moment pregnant with the weight of years of unspoken truths. It was Alexandra who finally broke the quiet, her voice carrying a mix of vulnerability and curiosity. "Did you love her?"

Christian's reaction was subtle but noticeable, his body tensing ever so slightly. He seemed taken aback by the directness of the question, his eyes betraying the emotions swirling within. He took a deep breath, his gaze meeting Alexandra's as he wrestled with his response.