50

SIX YEARS AGO

The vibrant atmosphere of the Canadian Grand Prix paddock welcomed Alexandra and Tom as they arrived, anticipation and excitement coursing through their veins. They navigated the bustling scene, the hum of engines and the chatter of fans forming a backdrop to their journey.

Amidst the crowd, Alexandra's path crossed with Valtteri Bottas, the new addition to the Mercedes team. The introductions were brief, a polite exchange of words and smiles before they moved on. As they finally spotted Lewis in the midst of the activity, Alexandra's apprehension surfaced.

With a warm hug, Alexandra greeted Lewis, her unease subtly evident in her demeanor. She leaned in, speaking softly, "It's weird being back here, you know? Before, I was just your friend. Now, I'm that girl from the movies."

Lewis's embrace was reassuring, and he responded with empathy, "You don't have to be here if it makes you uncomfortable."

She shrugged off his concern, a small smile playing at her lips as she slipped on a pair of sunglasses and cheekily stole Lewis's baseball cap. "Nah, I'm good. Just gonna lay low this weekend, and stay out of everyone's way. Avoid the cameras."

Both Lewis and Tom agreed with a nod, understanding her need for a more subdued presence. As the trio exchanged thoughts and plans for the weekend, Alexandra voiced her intention to slip away to the canteen for a drink.

Lewis and Tom offered to accompany her, but Alexandra declined with a grin. "Nah, you guys would only draw more attention. I'll be back in a bit."

With a wave, she departed, disappearing into the vibrant scene, her steps guided by a mix of nostalgia, uncertainty, and a desire for a sense of normalcy in the whirlwind of fame and racing.

At the Mercedes canteen, Alexandra's presence seemed to blend into the background of the bustling paddock. She grabbed a bottle of water and made her way outside, choosing a small table and chairs that offered a view of the surrounding activity. She settled into her seat, the sun warming her skin and the soft hum of conversations creating a comforting backdrop.

Her gaze wandered, taking in the ebb and flow of people in the paddock. She observed the intricacies of the racing world, a mix of nostalgia and unfamiliarity weaving through her thoughts. Among the various garages and teams, her attention was drawn to the Ferrari garage, where familiar faces caught her eye.

Sebastian Vettel, an old family friend, was engaged in conversation with Kimi Räikkönen and a group of engineers. Through the lenses of her sunglasses, she watched as Seb's gaze shifted momentarily in her direction. His expression held a hint of recognition, a brief pause that suggested he was questioning the familiarity.

As he returned to his conversation, Alexandra felt a pang of guilt wash over her. She remembered the kindness and camaraderie she had shared with Seb over the years, and now, she was concealed behind a facade of unfamiliarity. The weight of her choice to remain incognito settled heavily on her shoulders.