16

After reading the blog posts about Lexi not being able to race due to her significant weight loss, Charles's heart sank

After reading the blog posts about Lexi not being able to race due to her significant weight loss, Charles's heart sank. Without a second thought, he ran through the paddock, determined to find her. He searched for her, feeling anxious until he finally spotted Christian Horner, who called him over.

Reluctantly, Charles approached Horner, wondering what he wanted. Horner looked concerned as he said, "I heard you were looking for Lexi. She's in Max's trailer, and she's okay."

Grateful for the information, Charles thanked Horner and rushed towards Max's trailer. As he entered, he found Lexi inside, looking a bit lost. The jealous feeling he had when he saw her with Max crossed his mind, but he quickly pushed it aside, knowing that their friendship was strong.

Ignoring any assumptions made by the media about their relationship, Charles put on a brave face and told Lexi to get up. She looked confused, but he reassured her, "We're going on a track walk, just you and me."

Lexi seemed hesitant, her anxiety about the cameras evident. Charles held her hand gently, looking into her eyes. "I promise you, as long as I'm with you, the cameras won't be in your face. They'll keep their distance, and it won't be anything out of the ordinary."

Eventually, Lexi agreed, and Charles secretly grabbed some snacks from Max's trailer. He saw her raise an eyebrow, and he quickly came up with a lie, "I'm hungry, that's all."

In truth, Charles had planned on eating while they walked, hoping that seeing him eat might encourage Lexi to do the same. He knew how difficult it was for her to take care of herself lately, and he wanted to support her in any way he could.

As they embarked on the track walk, Charles kept his promise, shielding Lexi from the cameras and making sure they maintained a comfortable distance. 

"I've missed you, Lexi. And I've been really worried about you."

Her gaze softened as she listened to his words, and she reached out to hold his hand, finding comfort in his presence. Charles continued, his voice filled with concern, "Please promise me that you won't do that again. I care about you, and I want to be there for you."

Lexi nodded, squeezing his hand gently, "I promise, Charles. I won't shut you out again."

She hesitated for a moment before opening up, "Charles, I'm just so exhausted. It feels like I'm losing this mental battle with myself, and I don't know how to keep fighting against my family and the gossip blog. The world seems to be against me, and it's like no one believes my side of the story. I'm terrified to leave my house because I know the cameras are waiting for me. They're just waiting to twist every little thing I do."

Charles listened intently, his heart aching for her. He wanted to ease her pain, to shield her from the harsh world that seemed to be closing in on her.

"I just feel like maybe I deserve all of this, Charles. I don't think I'm a good person. Maybe all this pain is what I deserve. Maybe I don't deserve to be happy."