61

Jennie

I checked the ID and saw that it was Lisa. I hung up and called her from another phone. I walked back into the tub and checked my towel to ensure my gun was there before slipping back inside.

"Hey, how are you?" She asked.

"Sore." I admitted.

"From what?"

"Mino punished me with an intense workout. I can't feel my body."

She laughed a laugh that didn't belong to a person as cunning and devious as her.

"I'm sorry, baby. Are you okay? Want me to come over and give you a massage?"

I hummed. "Tempting."

"When do I get to see you?"

"When do you want to see me?"

"Right now." She demanded.

I closed my eyes and let out a breath of air. "Lisa, what am I to you?"

"You're my girl, and I care about you very much."

"Are you lying to me?" I whispered, my weakness evident in my voice.

"No, I'm not lying to you."

"I haven't cried in years." I divulged. "Yet, I cried in front of you."

"I don't want to have this conversation over the phone." She murmured, and my anger grew, but so did the hurt and pain. "Let me come over and..."

"Why!? So you could gauge my facial reactions? Do you need more ammunition!?" I exclaimed.

"Ammunition? Jennie, what's wrong, baby? Talk to me."

"Lisa, I'm not an easy person to bring down. I'm a strong woman, and I've been through hell and back to get to where I am. I've been hurt, betrayed, deceived, and had my heart broken too many times to count. The life I'm leading is mine, and I won't let anyone take it from me. Not you, not anyone else. Do you understand?"

"I understand."

I didn't speak, and silence filled the air.

"I still want to see you."

"I'm tired, Lisa. I'm so, so tired." My voice cracked. "I just want to sleep. Good night."

I hung up and put my phone on the counter. I closed my eyes and could feel the tears falling down my face. My heart hurt and hiccupped in my chest as I cried. It hurt to hold it in any longer, and I found myself sobbing in the tub. I covered my face with my hands as my body shook in the water. I cried over my parents, over what my uncle and cousins did to me. I cried over the girl who went through abuse and assault when she used to strip. I cried over the successful businesswoman who was so mentally and emotionally damaged that she couldn't trust anyone.

It wasn't a therapeutic cry but a hurtful one. It hurt to cry. It hurt to hold in so much pain, and to have it explode right now made my chest rattle. I didn't even hear my bathroom door open or my dogs barking, but Beth walked in.

She came to where I was and scooped me out of the tub, and wrapped me up in a towel. She pulled me to her chest and hugged me tightly. I cried in her arms pathetically, and when I was finished. She helped wash my face and dried me off with the towel. She got me dressed and brushed my hair, and then walked me to my bed. She helped me in, and my dogs jumped on the bed with me. They cuddled around me, and Beth kissed my forehead before ushering me to sleep.

"Thank you, Beth." It came out weak and congested.

"Of course, my dear." She stayed close to me until I closed my eyes and fell asleep drained and exhausted.