Chapter 18

I didn't hear back from anyone except one person! Kind of makes me sad! I don't bite guys I promise!

--

When I woke up the next time I knew it was morning. How? Daryl was gone. I sighed and stretched before getting up and quickly dressing. I ran a hand through my hair and threw my black beanie on my head. My hands froze on it after I slid it on my head.

I've had this beanie cap since I was in high school. Now six years later and being 24 you would figure I would get rid of it but I never did. I stepped out of the tent and the sun was the first thing to hit me. I smiled as I accepted the warmth and smiled.

The group was sitting around the small fire they had built. Everyone gave me small smiles and murmured "mornings." I sat down beside Carl who looked like he could fall asleep again at any minute. I ruffled his hair causing him to glare at me. I smirked before turning my attention to the group.

Daryl was missing. I looked around the group and behind them. I tried not to show it on my face that I was a tad worried. "He's hunting," Carl said to me. I ruffled his hair again without even looking at him. I looked up to see Dale sitting on top of his RV taking watch.

I sighed and stood up. There was a lot on my mind and there was no better person to talk to than Dale. He was like the father I wish I had. When Daryl and I first joined the group Dale automatically knew there was something going on between us whether good or bad.

There were many nights him and I would talk while keeping watch about the way things used to be. He always asked me if Daryl was that mean and he was always surprised when I told him no. Which that led into countless stories of the nice things Daryl used to do.

It didn't take Dale long to figure out about Daryl's father. He said it was pretty obvious whether Daryl told anyone or not. His attitude said it all. I slowly climbed the ladder and was automatically greeted by Dale's smiling face. Somehow he was always in a good mood.

"What's up, kid?" he asked in greeting. I smiled at his choice of words. I definitely wasn't a kid. I plopped down beside him. "What's on your mind?" I sighed and looked up at him. "Did you and your wife ever break up when you were together?" I asked him.

I think he was a little taken back by the question. His face contorted a little before speaking. "A few times, why?" he asked. I shook my head. "Just wondering," he looked at me with confusion in his eyes. "Is this about a certain redneck?" he asked me teasingly.

I chuckled. Dale wasn't stupid. He knew everything. I broke our gaze before nodding. I heard him chuckle a little before patting my shoulder lightly. "What's going on, dear?" I looked back up. "He's just being...Daryl," Dale laughed this time causing us to get looks from the group.

"What's going on?" he asked me. I leaned my head against his leg. "He's just being complicated and messing with me," I said. Dale settled one of hands on my back and rubbed it trying to comfort me. "What do you want?" Dale asked me softly.

I sighed. "Obviously it's not what he wants," I mumbled. I heard Dale chuckle again. I didn't have a clue on what was so funny about this. "Have you asked him that?" I sat there for a few seconds before groaning causing Dale to chuckle. "That's what I thought. You need to talk to him," he said.

I sighed. "I guess you're right," I said. He smiled down at me. "I'm always right," he beamed at me. I rolled my eyes. "Yeah yeah," I waved him off. "Now's your chance," he said while looking over my head. I followed his gaze to see Daryl walking into camp carrying a deer over his shoulder.

"Dammit," I breathed. I stood up and looked down at Dale. He simply nodded towards the ladder and put on a smile. I groaned as I made my way down the ladder. I took slow, small steps back towards the group. Shane and Rick were now standing over to deer gutting it.