Chapter 20

You guys still alive out there!!! I feel like you guys died!

--

Rick, Glenn, T-Dog, Shane, Daryl, and I made our way quickly to the side entrance of the mall. Daryl and I were leading the group. Everyone was quiet and on high alert. "Why aren't there any walkers around?" Glenn whispered to us. I rolled my eyes.

"Why are you complaining, chink," Daryl grumbled. I rolled my eyes again as we reached the doors at the side of the mall. Rick stepped forward with Daryl and they both pulled on the doors, locked. "Dammit," Rick cursed. Daryl went to raise his crossbow to break the glass.

"Wait," I held my hand up to his crossbow. I grabbed Daryl and turned his right side to me. I quickly unsheathed his knife and bent down to the lock. "Cover me," I said while starting to pick at the lock with the tip of Daryl's knife. I worked the knife into the lock.

I sighed as the knife slid in perfectly. I wiggled it around and then I heard the familiar click and let out a happy sigh. I stood up and handed Daryl his knife back but he shook his head and pushed it back towards me. I slid it through my belt loop and looked over at Rick who nodded.

I quickly opened the door letting Daryl and Rick slide past me. I walked beside Glenn as T-Dog and Shane pulled up the rear. The mall was quiet and luckily had ceiling windows so it let in some light. We stopped right inside the doors and looked around.

"Where to?" Rick whispered. I looked around. "I vote we split up. Two people in each store. The weapons store is that way, " I pointed to our left. "The clothing store is that way," I pointed to the right, "and the food court is straight ahead." Everyone followed my directions.

"I'll go with Glenn to the food court," "Hell no," I was automatically cut off by Daryl. "What dad?" I said to him. I think he was a little taken back by the comment. "I'm going with you," Daryl growled. I shook my head. "You know more about weapons than me."

Daryl growled as I drug Glenn down the mall with me. "Why not take him?" Glenn said. I shrugged as I let his arm go. "I just wanted to get away for a bit. I don't need him up my ass all the time," I grumbled. Glenn chuckled a little. "He loves you, ya know?"

I stopped walking abruptly and looked over at Glenn. "What the hell are you talking about, Chinaman?" I retorted. Glenn cracked a slight smile. "See he's rubbing off on you. You never call me Chinaman," I chuckled a little before continuing my way to the food court.

My mind started thinking about a hundred things at once, but what stuck out the most was Daryl....love....me?! I wanted to laugh out loud. There was no way that was possible.....right? I shook my head lightly. We reached the food court and I quickly hopped behind the counter.

"Don't go too far. I don't need to be saving your ass," I said to Glenn. I heard him grumbling something as he went to the next little restaurant. Luckily there were some cardboard boxes left over behind the counters, perfect for carrying food. I quickly started packing.

Canned food, canned food, more canned food. Dear Lord all fast food is just canned food, people could save a lot of money if they would just eat at home. I laughed at myself. Here we are in the middle of an apocalypse and I'm complaining about money and food.

I sighed as my mind went back to Daryl. Love? What is love? Could Daryl love? Maybe one day, but with everything he's been through it would be difficult for him to do it. "My brother's not one for lovin' and cuddlin' and shit. He fucks 'em and leaves 'em."

I shook my head as Merle's words rang through my ear. The bastard was still haunting me even though he was gone. Typical Merle. I shook my head again trying to clear my thoughts. Suddenly everything had went black and I regretted leaving Daryl.