Chapter 6

"I won't hesitate. I don't care if every walker in the city hears it," Rick said firmly, waiting for Daryl's decision. "Stop it," I said with a frown but didn't know for sure who I was telling it too. Maybe Daryl, for being an idiot, maybe Rick, so he didn't kill the only person I feel some sort of comfort around. The only one who knows me and vice versa.

Not that my words fazed any of them. It took a moment before the redneck squeezed his eyes shut, burying the overwhelming rage and shock so that none of us could see it anymore, but it was there. With his crossbow down again, everyone could breathe.

"You, uh, got a do-rag or something," Daryl wasn't really asking but T-Dog gave him one anyway. He passed me so much without a glance. "I guess the saw blade was too dull for the handcuff. Ain't that a bitch?"

I didn't look at the hand as it was wrapped up. Only Daryl Dixon would find it usable for later. Thankfully he packed it away in Glenn's bag, against the Korean's small grimace. I walked in step with Glenn when we began to follow the trickle of blood Merle left behind, like the bread crumbs from Hansel and Gretel.

Downstairs was gloomy, shadow-filler hallways and rooms. We approached an open door to find two walkers already dead. There was only one explanation for it. "Toughest asshole I ever met, my brother," Daryl briefly stopped to reset his crossbow. I shook my head. "Biggest asshole I ever met, your brother," I muttered, ignoring the looks I received.

"Any man can pass out from blood loss. No matter how tough he is," Rick cut in, bringing the mission back to focus. "You comin' with me?" I shifted my eyes from the window to Daryl, who was staring intently at me.

T-Dog made a valuable point in changing the course of our search to make a grab for the bag of guns Rick dropped when Glenn first saved him. As long as we were here, we might as well, even though it was dangerous.

My eyebrow rose in question and I turned to Rick, who was checking the rounds in his gun. He was a good leader, and my part in this little plan hadn't been decided. Glenn would make the grab. Daryl will cover him. T-Dog and Rick will be waiting in another alley only two blocks away, in case the Korean needed another route to safety.

Rick straightened up and nodded at us. "That's a good idea. It divides us equally. Two of us in each of the alleys in case the walkers become a problem." "They're already a problem," Daryl muttered, rubbing briefly at his lower lip. He caught himself when he saw my small smile, and then didn't meet my eyes. That habit of his was always something I teased him about when we were younger. "We best get going then."

The five of us gradually split up. Glenn was in the lead, taking Daryl and I up to the roof since he knew his way around while the others were heading to their ready position. It was silent as we quickly walked down a few halls to a flight of stairs, until Daryl spoke up. "Just like old times, huh?"

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see his stained muscles were tense, his crossbow ready but pointed at a downward angle so it wasn't directly at Glenn's back. A careless shrug moved my shoulders. "If by old times you mean fun then..." There was nothing to finish that sentence. Nothing I could think of worth repeating.

He simply grunted. When I took it he wasn't going to respond, he surprised me by leaning closer. "By old times, I mean you and me." His whisper close to my ear gave me goose bumps and on instinct I frowned and pushed a light hand at his chest.

Old times indeed. Those days where I'd react like now, nudging him away on account of how close he suddenly was. Playfully, of course, and when I wasn't so shy of his skin brushing against mine.

He was smirking, glad to have gotten through to me. "Cutting class to sneak up to the school roof," Daryl extended a hand to my face and brushed the tip of his finger against my cheek, tracing my small blush.

I smacked the gesture away without thinking, and by the look on his face, it seemed like he hadn't known what he was doing either. A sigh escaped my lips, but I nodded. "Yeah, you egging the Principal's car? Smooth one. I still can't believe they thought I was your accomplice." "You only couldn't believe that you received your first detention."

"Hey!" I defended, not realizing the smile curving my lips. "You're lucky I was with you. We got off easy with a detention." Daryl shook his head. "Right, because if it was me alone I'd have faced another suspension," he stared at me, a certain spark in his eyes that I couldn't place. "But no, with Ms. Pristine next to me, it was a different situation."

Ignoring the sarcasm in his voice, he steadied me when I tripped over one of the stairs by grabbing arm. "How do you even trip up a stair, Em?" Daryl asked on point, dropping his hand as soon as I regained my balance. The use of my nickname is what really caught my tongue. All I could force out was a feeble, "Shut up."

"Nice comeback," he snickered, but it was shortened when Glenn hesitatingly glanced over his shoulder at us. Daryl's lips tightened with his automatic frown. "What are you looking at Mr. Pork Fried Rice?" he snapped at Glenn with anger.

Glenn shook his head, taking the insult instead of daring to look back at Daryl once more. "Nothing, I was-just nothing." "Will you give it a rest Daryl?" I hissed at the redneck with disapproval. At that, the man was taken aback. "Me? He's lookin' at us like he knows something. He better mind his business if he knows what's good for him."

I rubbed my forehead as if it would clear my stress away. "You're the only one implying an "us" around here." It was just a point, though I did see something in that quick look Glenn gave us, like he was surveying us. Glenn pushed open the door to the roof, letting the sunlight flood my eyes.

"Well, you know what?" This is no us," Daryl declared in a firm but low voice, enough for my ears to hear alone. "As far as I'm concerned." I couldn't tell if it was just his fuse blowing that made the words spiteful or if he actually meant it. There wasn't anything involving me and Daryl Dixon. That was our childhood. A life time ago, but then what was he even doing here? Why not leave when he had the chance? Or were those simple smirks and touches around me something I was reading too much into? This wasn't something I liked thinking about.

Daryl had already pushed past Glenn to quickly sweep the roof in case of stray walkers. With the coast clear, he walked to the edge of the building and peered down. Glenn was already taking deep breaths to assure himself before heading down the ladder leading into the alley.

"Thanks for the clarification, asshole," the mutter was sharp under my breath. I gripped Daryl's knife tighter in my hand, glad to have something to hold on to as I followed them. "Whenever you need to hear it, beautiful," Daryl responded with a charming smirk, the previous bitterness removed from his tone like it was never there. I hadn't even realized he'd heard me.

--

Chapter 6 complete! Every time I write a chapter I just keeping thinking (24 days til Norman, 23 days til Norman, 22 days til Norman, 21 days til Norman) with that being said: 21 DAYS TIL COMIC CON WITH NORMAN REEDUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, as you were. How are you liking the story so far? Please leave me feedback in the comments below :) comment, vote follow!!