Chapter 31

Almost 14,000 reads, 400 votes, and 200 comments!! Y'all are freaking awesome!! I love you all!! It's totally made my day seeing that!! And I just got a kitty!!!!! After many months of convincing my mom she is currently sitting in my lap while I write this! Her name is Peek A Boo!

--

"There's no way we're gonna be able to get to the cars with this many," I whispered to the three men. We were currently hiding behind the store sign on the roof trying to figure out what to do. "So we're just gonna sit and wait?" Rick whispered back.

I glared over at him. "You want to be bait then be my guest otherwise shut it," I growled. I snuck away to the other side of the roof to avoid any other arguments. I peered over the side and noticed it was clear. I heard someone come up beside and I looked out of the corner of my eye to see Daryl.

"Ya know what direction they came from, right?" he asked me. I barely nodded. "The housing edition, hopefully everyone was smart enough and stayed inside and didn't try to fight them off. We don't need to lose anyone else," I said. Daryl snorted quietly.

"Less mouths to feed," he said. I smacked him on the chest. "Less people to keep you in line and watch your ass," I said. Daryl glared over at me. "Watch it, girly," he said while pointing a finger at me. I chuckled and stuck my tongue out at him. He rolled his eyes.

"We could cause a distraction then dart for the cars," I said. Daryl nodded slightly. "But how?" he asked. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. I looked around the roof when something caught my eye. "Well well well, it's my lucky day," I mumbled while walking over.

I picked up the flares and waved them in front of Daryl's face. "Presents!" I said while tossing the flares at him. We walked back over to Rick and Glenn who were still behind the sign. "Look what I found," I said while grabbing the flares from Daryl's hands.

Rick turned around and a slight smile came across his face. "Perfect," he said. I tossed a couple to Glenn. "Alright Glenn and I will jump over a few building and throw the flares further. Hopefully the sound and spark will attract then. Rick and Daryl get the cars ready," I said

I felt Daryl's hand grasp my upper arm and pull me backwards. "I don't know how I feel about this. Let me go," he said. I shook my head. "I can't drive your bike, and I know they can't either. Even if they could you wouldn't let them drive it. We don't have time to argue."

Daryl let out a deep breath before nodding slightly. He bent down and kissed me lightly. "Stay safe," he whispered. "Don't worry; if I get trapped I'll throw Chinaman overboard," I said. I watched Daryl's eyes become a little wide before he smirked.

"I'm rubbing off on you," he said. I rolled my eyes. "Whatever," I slung my crossbow over my back and followed Glenn. Luckily the gaps between the buildings weren't too far apart and it was an easy jump. Glenn and I jumped three building over before stopping.

"Ready?" I asked him. He nodded and we both pulled the flares and sent them flying. We watched as they hit the ground and rolled a little. Walker heads turned left and right as they were suddenly interested in the flares that had fallen on the ground. Boy would they be disappointed when they figured out their new meal wasn't kicking and screaming.

All of them started shuffling towards the flares. "Alright, let's go. Quietly," I whispered to Glenn. He nodded and we quietly started running across the rooftops again. I could feel my ankle burning, so much for staying off of it. I could hear Glenn running behind me.

We quickly went back into the building and as I ran down the stairs I suddenly felt the weight of Glenn on me and we went tumbling down the stairs. I groaned as I felt a bolt from my crossbow pierce me in the shoulder. I quickly stood up ignoring the pain and helped Glenn up.