[ 39. the best part ]

| y/n's pov |

JESSE HAD BEEN absolutely thrilled for the rest of the day, and as we walked to our seats to watch the show for the end of the USO tour with the other Bellas, he held my hand tightly.

"Ladies and gentlemen, let's give it up for DJ Khaled!" A man spoke over the speakers and I made a face. I was there for Beca and no one else.

Most of the audience cheered as he stepped onto the stage.

I, painfully, made it through his own speech and chant things he did just for Beca.

"...But tonight I have a surprise. I'll be introducing you to a new star. A superstar. Somebody that I have cosigned. I introduce you to... Beca Mitchell."

I cheered loudly with the crowd as my friend walked onto the stage.

"Go, Beca!" Amy yelled out.

As the lights dimmed, Jesse leaned closer to me and whispered in my ear. "Scary ear spike girl we used to stack CDs with has come a long way."

"Yeah." I smiled and took his hand in mine again. "But so have we."

"Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh" Beca let that echo before repeating it on a higher note. "Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh"

While the two recorded vocals were layered together and echoed around, she added more.

"Ooh, ooh"

The lights were all dark around the stage, except for the spotlight on Beca. Watching her made me emotional.

Seeing her doing her own amazing thing was helping it all sink in. We really were done with the Bellas. After, like, seven years.

Beca hummed into the microphone and after adding a few 'Oh, oh, oh's to the backing audio, she started to sing.

"Heaven knows I was just a young boy, Didn't know what I wanted to be"

A few people cheered and whistled in the audience.

"I was every little hungry schoolgirl's pride and joy And I guess it was enough for me" I smiled as she performed. I was proud of her. "To win the race, a prettier face, Brand-new clothes and a big fat place On your rock and roll TV"

I could see Beca looking around at us, her friends, in the front row. She was smiling at us.

"But today the way I play the game Is not the same, no way" She took the microphone off the stand and started walking closer to the front of the stage. "I think I'm gonna get me some happy"

She got to the edge of the stage and held out a hand to Amy.

"I think there's something you should know" Beca sang.

"I think it's time I told you so" Amy sang.

"There's something deep inside of me"

As Beca waved to the rest of us and the other Bellas stood up, Jesse nudged my arm and gestured for me to join them.

"There's someone else I gotta be" Cynthia Rose sang and I followed the others up the steps to the stage.