[ 07. solos and secrets ]

| y/n's pov |

AFTER FINISHING A run through rehearsal of Turn the Beat Around for the millionth time, we got to take a break.

"I should have taken that cardio tip more seriously." Amy panted.

"How much have you done?" Aubrey asked, walking back over after getting her water bottle. I hadn't been able to look Aubrey in the eyes since Jesse came over. I was scared that if I did, she would look into my soul and know I kissed him and kick me out.

"You just saw it." Amy replied.

"Chloe, you gotta be able to hit that last note." Aubrey critiqued.

"I can't. It's impossible. And it's because of my, my nodes."

Everyone else's voice echoed Chloe, knowing it was her nodes.

"Well, if you can't do it, then someone else needs to solo." Aubrey declared.

"I think Beca should take my solo."

"Yeah, Beca would be excellent. But also, someone else might be equally as excellent." Amy's tone suggested she was talking about herself.

"It's true." Beca agreed.

"And they might be shy and not wanna come forward and say they wanted a solo."

"Well, Beca doesn't want a solo, so..." Aubrey shrugged.

"I would be happy do to it if I got to pick a new song and do an arrangement."

"Well, that's not how we run things here."

"Aubrey, maybe Beca has a point." Chloe agreed. "Maybe we could try something new."

"A-ca-scuse me?" Aubrey's head snapped in Chloe's direction. "You can sing Turn the Beat Around and that's the last I wanna hear of this."

"That song is tired. We're not gonna win with it." Beca pointed out to Aubrey. "If we pull samples from different genres and layer them together, we could make some..."

"Okay, let me explain something to you because you still don't seem to get it." Aubrey turned to face Beca. "Our goal is to get back to the finals and these songs will get us there. So, excuse me if I don't take advice from some alt-girl with her mad lib beats, because she's never even been in a competition. Have I made myself clear?"

"Crystal. I won't solo." Beca stepped back. I could tell she found amusement in Aubrey's stress.

"Fine. Fat Amy?"

"Yes, sir?"

I giggled.

"You'll solo."

"Yes!" Fat Amy exclaimed happily. "Yes."

---

LATER IN THE evening I was walking back to the dorm with Stacie. Just as we reached Jesse's dorm, I stopped and crouched down.

Stacie kept on walking before looking at me. "What are you doing?"

"Just tying my shoelaces." I waved her. "Don't worry, I'll catch up."

She nodded and got down to our dorm before going inside. I jumped to my feet again and approached the dorm, knocking on the door.

It swung open and Jesse was suddenly in front of me.

"Hey." I greeted.

"Hi." He stepped back and let me inside. "What's up, weirdo?"

"I wanna talk to you." I looked around the room, noticing the large Star Wars set up on the other side of the room. "Is that Benji's stuff?"

"Yeah."

"It's pretty cool." I nodded before turning to face him again. I cleared my throat. "Okay, so, I wanted to talk about the other night."

"Yeah, okay." He nodded. "The other night. Where we kissed and then you acted like nothing happened the moment Stacie walked in, then you kissed me again outside."

"Yeah, that night."

"Alright."

"I do like you, Jesse." I confessed. "But it's just... Aubrey made us take this dumb oath."

He raised his eyebrow. "What?"

"Basically we're not allowed to be with Trebles." I sighed, crossing my arms. "Otherwise we get kicked out. We lost two girls on the first day."

"Seriously?" He asked.

"Jesse, I swear." I reached forward and grabbed his hand. He didn't pull away. "If I wouldn't get kicked out, I would..."

Jesse used both my hands to pull me closer. "I get it."

I looked at him, holding my hands with a small smile and couldn't help myself from slowly leaning forward.

"What are you doing?" He whispered.

"Kissing you again. Is that okay?" I whispered back and he chuckled.

"Yeah." My lips met with his and his arms wrapped around my waist. My hands held either side of his face to pull him as close to me as possible before he pulled back. "What about the Bellas?"

"I don't have to tell them." I stated and he kept smiling before he leaned in and kissed me again.

"Jesse?" I mumbled against his lips.

"Yeah?"

"Would you, maybe, wanna be my boyfriend?" I asked.

"Depends. What's gonna happen with Aubrey?" He asked back.

"What Aubrey doesn't know won't hurt her." I replied, my hands making their way around the back of his neck. "We'll just... hide it from her."

Jesse smiled, as he usually would, and nodded. "Then yes, I'll be your boyfriend."

I laughed and kissed him on the cheek. Then I paused, remembering how I told Stacie I was just going to tie my shoelace.

"Okay, I better go before Stacie thinks I've been kidnapped." I let go of Jesse and walked over to the door with him. "See you tomorrow?"

"Yeah, see you tomorrow." He opened the door for me and kissed me on the lips before stepping back.

"Bye." I then made my short trip down the hallway to my dorm. I stopped outside my door to see him leaning on his doorframe. He waved and I shook my head in amusement before going inside.