[ 05. the riff-off ]

| y/n's pov |

AFTER A SUPER fun day of stacking records alphabetically on shelves, Jesse having lots of fun mimicking the faces on the album covers, I sat down on the grass outside with my laptop and headphones.

I was planning on going through some of my draft scripts and ideas I had to try and solidify some of them. I kept all my different planning documents well organized so I knew exactly where every piece of planning or drafting I had was.

I was proud of myself for it all.

"What's up, weirdo?" A familiar voice asked and I turned my head to see Jesse walking over with his backpack, a small blanket and a wide smile.

He threw me a juice pouch, which I caught quickly as he lay the blanket on the grass beside me.

"What's going on here?" I asked as he started unzipping his bag.

"As much as I love spending time with you in class or stacking CDs... And I do. I love it, like, more than life."

I shook my head in amusement as he pulled out a candle from his bag.

"...I figured we could do some other fun things that don't make us wanna kill ourselves, right?" He suggested, pulling out a box of pretzels. I stuck the straw into the juice pouch and looked back at him as I took a sip. "So, of course, I brought some movies."

"Ooh." I watched as he pulled a pile of DVDs out of his bag. "Like what?"

"Jaws, E.T., The Breakfast Club, Star Wars and Rocky." He listed, dropping them in front of him. "As you should know, the best scored and soundtracked movies of all time. That's what I wanna do when I grow up. I wanna score movies."

I loved listening to him talk. His voice was so nice and I just loved the way he spoke.

"Bring people to tears, you know. Blow their minds." He continued. "I feel like only music can do that."

He sat down properly beside me and I took another sip of my juice.

"You must really sweep your girlfriend off her feet." I commented, praying he didn't have one.

"Oh, I don't have a girlfriend." He responded with just the answer I wanted. The perfect man didn't have a girlfriend.

"Interesting." I took another sip of my juice and he chuckled, looking down for a moment.

"Okay, uh, so what do you wanna watch first?"

"Anything but The Breakfast Club." I answered and I don't think I had ever seen anyone's head whip around like Jesse's did in that moment.

"What?"

"I don't like it." I explained and Jesse's jaw dropped.

"How can you not like it? What?" He scoffed, not annoyed, but more surprised.

"Okay, look, I tried watching it one time when I was like... 16?" I thought back. "Yeah, I was like 16, but I got bored and I never made it to the end."

"The ending's the best part." He sounded hurt.

"I'm sorry, I just don't like it." I laughed. "I'll watch any of the others though. I love E.T.."