51

When you had explained the entire ordeal to your family, they were extremely worried for your safety.

"[Name], I get being a hero is... a great job, but... is it really worth it?" Your father spoke up at the dining table during dinner. You were chewing your bite when you looked up at him with wide eyes, "What... do you mean? Of course it is–"

"That's not what I meant... This incident... made me realize that from now on, you're going to be risking your life a lot more often, and just like this time, we would have no way of knowing what happened! What if... What if one day, one of the villains is strong, much stronger than you can take?"

You knew what he was suggesting and you also knew that this was only natural. After the death of your mother, your father had become very protective over all of you.

He'd stay up all night waiting for [Brother Name] to get back from his shift, worried that he might get hurt on duty.

He would constantly buy [Sister Name] loads of pepper spray and even a butterfly knife to keep on her, in case she ever needs it. If it was possible, he'd try to drop her off at her university as much as he could.

And you... You had never really gotten involved in any altercations that would require your father's worries, but he still always looked out for you. You're sure that this incident would be the turning point for you to be treated just like your siblings; with worry and caution.

"I get what you mean, dad... But this was a one in a million fight. I won't be getting in any more dangerous fights, I promise. Besides, now that I'm done with my internship, I won't even have to interact with a villain! So please don't worry...."

He still didn't look convinced, but seeing the determination in your eyes, he decided to finally let it go.

And now, you chose to finally be the menace you were born to be, "I just want you to be happy. After all, you are very d-ear to me, dad."

Your entire family was silent, and all of them turned to you in shock, "[Name]... are you making ear puns out of your injury?" Your brother asked, almost exasperated because he knew what kind of a messed up humor you had. Your sister was quiet for a while, before she finally burst into cackles and your father shook his head in disappointment.

You, on the other hand, grinned when you saw that at least one person was laughing.

Maybe you'll try all your ear puns on your class...

But then you realised just how much they all would worry, and decided that maybe you shouldn't tell them. Yeah, you don't want them screaming their heads off.

The next morning when you woke up, you got all ready for school. Your father made you breakfast and shot you a worried look when he saw your uniform. You tried to smile at him to ease him up but he simply turned away and began to fry an egg for your sister next.

You couldn't help but sigh at that.

You'll just have to let him be for a while...

As you finally left the house, you were reunited with an old buddy, Kaibara. With a pep in your step, you skipped over to him with a smile, "Kaibara-san, good morning! How was your internship?" He turned to you in surprise, almost as if he was shocked where you had shown up from.

"What the–oh... It's just you, [Last Name]-san..." Heaving a sigh of relief, he turned his face to you fully, "When did you become so sneaky? I remember being able to tell you were approaching from a mile away, now I couldn't even tell you were right next to me..."

Hell yeah! Edgeshot's training finally paid off!!

"Well, I've been learning some new skills at my internship! Also, the hell do you mean, from a mile away?! I didn't have that heavy of footsteps, you asshole!" He shrugged his shoulders before walking away suavely, making you grumbling under your breath.