Chapter 41

"Has anyone seen your mother?" Silas asked the kids, as he moved into the kitchen, looking around for Grace. 
"No, why?" Poppy asked before she went back to feeding Daisy at the counter.
"She disappeared this morning. When I called her she said that she had two stops to make but I haven't seen her" 
"Did you call Rose? She and mom are always within 10 feet of each other" Miles suggested. Silas dialled the number and waited for her to answer.
"Hey Rose, have you seen Grace?" He paused listening to the answer "Okay. Let me know when you see her please" he replied before hanging up the phone. Silas let out a frustrated sigh, turning to look out the back window that looked out into the garden. Silas saw it then. The little white envelope on the dining room table propped up against the fruit bowl, addressed to him. He picked up the paper, running his hand over the neatly wrote out word.
"Its from mom isn't it?" Alex asked, without a word he picked up the letter and opened it, taking in a deep breath before he began reading it out loud:
My dearest Silas, I'm sorry. But I think that loosing Maddie should've been our out. I have always loved you from the minute you walked into my father's store when your car broke down. But, what we have has always been passionate, physical. I love you Silas, and that will never change. But, what I need is someone who loves in other ways too. I hope you'll stick around for all six of your children because Ashley and Max are sticking around and they're going to join us for holidays and birthdays from now on.
I'm leaving for a few weeks. I'm going to find myself, to figure out who I am and what I want. When I get back I hope that we can still be friends and a good example for our kids. But, I can't be with you anymore and I'm sorry for that. Truly. You will always be the first man I loved. Look after our babies for me.
My love always,
Gracie.
"She's gone?" Poppy couldn't hide her sadness.
"She chose herself" Miles spoke up, meeting his fathers eyes "She loved you and she had a choice to make. She chose herself over everyone else for once" 

Four months later
Silas joined the kids at the table they had set up in the backyard, the barbeque sizzling away as the kids talked and laughed.
"Dad" Poppy smiled "Come and get your wiggly grandchild" Silas smiled at his daughter as he scooped Daisy into his arms. 
"Hello, my gorgeous girl" he smiled at the little girl in his arms before he looked back at his kids "Where's your mother?" he asked as he tickled Daisy. 
"I'm here, I'm here. Sorry were late" Grace apologized as she and James entered the garden, wide smiles on both of their faces.
"Where were you?" Ashley asked as she bounced Max on her leg.
"We were at an art class. I pose and Grace paints" James smiled, wrapping an arm around her waist he pulled her to him before he kissed her cheek. 
"That's surprising. Gracie likes...freedom when she paints" Silas reminded them. 
"Very true" James laughed "I think she got on very well fully dressed" 
"Okay, both of you, that's enough teasing" Grace ordered "Let's eat"

Grace and Poppy carried the now empty plates into the kitchen to be washed. Grace grabbed a plate off the stack and began rinsing it off. 
"Mom, how can you be fine with this?" 
"You mean, how am I fine with having Silas, James and Ashley in the same room" Poppy gave a small nod "I'm always going to love your father. And Ashley was hurt too in everything. I spent years loving your father, growing our family but nothing can prepare you for the loss of a child. We both got hurt, and we both hurt Ashley. But, James is my future, the rest of my life. I learned a long time ago that it is possible to love two people at once and it's possible to love someone who has hurt you, especially if he gave you five amazing kids" she smiled. 
"Six" Poppy reminded her as she handed her another plate to rinse. 
"Six" Grace repeated as she took the plate. Silas entered the kitchen, leaning on the counter as he watched them wash the dishes. 
"Daisy wants her mommy" he told Poppy, sending her out of the kitchen, he moved to take her place the other side of Grace to dry the dishes.
"What are you thinking?" she asked, handing him a wet plate.
"That this whole thing is weird" Grace laughed "James is nice. Its just..."
"Weird" she smiled. 
"Yeah" he sighed.
"Look at the yard, Silas" she watched as his eyes moved upwards to look at their family "Our beautiful children are happy. The weirdness, that'll fade"
"And what about us? Should I stop calling you Gracie?"
"No. I don't mind the nickname. James calls me sweetheart anyway" he nodded. Grace lay her head on his arm as the sounds of their children's laughter floated into the house. 
"I love you Gracie" 
"I know. I love you to. Always" he smiled down at her as she smiled up at him "Let's go and enjoy family time" she slipped her hand into his and led him outside to their family.