Chapter 31

Three months later
Poppy and her siblings hung Christmas decorations on the tree as the smell of Christmas cookies filled the air.
"Mom come look at the tree" Alex called out.
"I'm coming" Grace smiled seeing her family happy and working together on putting up all of the decorations.
"Thank you" Poppy smiled stealing a cookie off the plate Grace had just brought it.
"Hey, those are for later" Grace scolded lightly.
"And I am carrying your grandchild" Poppy retorted with a smile as she stroked her small three month bump.
"Hello, I've brought presents" Chris called as he entered the house finding everyone in the living room.
"Hey Chris" Grace smiled kissing him before taking some of the presents from him.
"Hello, I smell cookies and I want some" Rose shouted into the house before appearing in the living room.
"Hey Rose" Grace smiled hugging her friend "The cookies are for later"
"Unless your pregnant" Poppy told her, taking another off the plate.
"Hello" Silas called, eventually entering the living room with Ashley and their new two month old.
"Hey guys" Grace smiled.
"Hey Silas tell your ex-wife to let me have a cookie" Rose encouraged.
"Sorry Rose your on your own. The cookie rule is a strict one" he smiled.
"Thank you" Grace smiled before sticking her tongue out at Rose.
"I think the kitchen timer is going off" Miles announced as he appeared in the living room.
"I'll get it" Grace told them as she rushed for the kitchen.
"I'll help you" Silas offered as he followed after her.

Everyone sat around the collection of tables that they had set up which was covered in food that Grace had prepared for them all.
"Who are we waiting for?" Poppy moaned.
"Simon and your grandparents" Grace sighed.
"Really? How long have your parents lived here?" Silas asked.
"Long enough" Grace sighed as Simon entered the living room followed by Margaret and Robert.
"Sorry we're late" Margaret apologized as she sat down at the table.
"Your mother couldn't decide on what to wear" Robert sighed kissing his daughters head before he sat at the table.
"What's your excuse?" Grace targeted at Simon.
"I was with a lady friend" he announced, sharing a wink with Grace.
"Where have you been? The last time I saw you was-"
"The night you trashed Silas's car" he smirked.
"Grace Joanne Delaney!" Margaret scolded her daughter.
"Mom!" All of Grace's children shouted in response.
"You've got a fiery one there" Robert smiled at Chris.
"Yeah, trust me on this one Chris, keep her happy" Silas added.
"Can we eat now?" Poppy groaned.
"Yes, dig in everyone. Merry Christmas" Grace smiled.

Flashback
Grace walked along the hallways eventually finding Ashley's room.
"Hey" Grace whispered to Silas as Ashley and the baby slept soundly.
"Hey" Silas whispered back, gesturing her back into the hallway.
"Congratulations daddy" Grace smiled.
"Thank you. And thank you for coming, you didn't have to" he smiled at the large balloons she had brought with her.
"Of course I did. I'm happy for you" Grace smiled.
"This doesn't mean that I care any less about Maddie-"
"I know that. Your an amazing dad that cares about all of your children" she smiled gently.
"Thank you Grace. I couldn't have done this without you" he said turning serious.
"That's what ex-wives are for" she joked "Get back in there. I'll come visit tomorrow with the other kids" she encouraged, handing him the balloons.
"Grace? Can we visit Maddie sometime? Just me and you, I think we both need it"
"I'd like that" she smiled before she left him, standing there watching her for a moment before he rejoined his current wife.

"Alright. Grace and I will be back soon" Silas announced.
"Where are you going?" Miles asked first, sensing the tension in the air.
"To see Maddie. We need to do this, together. We're putting the past in the past, and this is the last step to do it" Grace told them.
"I'm proud of you mom" Miles smiled "You too dad" he smiled.

Grace and Silas walked along the rows of headstones hand in hand until they came to one under a small tree.
"It's tiny" Silas commented.
"It's beautiful" Grace smiled wiping her tears away with her gloved hand.
"She would've been six a few months ago"
"She would've been beautiful"
"When I think about her I imagine she has your long brown hair, and my smirk that you can never say no too and she would love tulips" He smiled.
"I'm scared, Si. I don't want to be alone" Grace admitted her eyes welling with tears.
"Your not going to be alone" He assured her.
"The kids are growing up, Miles has moved out, Archer and Oliver are off at college and Poppy's having a baby of her own. I don't want to be alone" Grace frowned, a tear rolling down her cheek.
"Your never going to be alone" he repeated, pulling her into his chest and once again Grace felt safe in his arms. He was warm and solid and everything she needed. She wanted to grip his shirt and bury her face in his neck, breathing in his cologne and never let go again.
Grace pulled away from him slightly, staying in his arms. She took his head in her hands, pulling his face down to hers.
"You have Chris" he reminded her "And I have Ashley"
"I just need this, once. Please" she begged. Silas could see the pain in her eyes, the need for safety and all he wanted was to make her feel safe. Silas nodded, letting Grace bring their lips together. This kiss wasn't about passion or sex, this was about comfort and safety, and the need to be in one another's arms.
"I'll always be here for you Gracie. No matter what you need or what happens" He assured her.
"We should go back. There probably wondering where we are" Grace offered a small smile before she began walking away, only to be caught by Silas's hand around her arm.
"I mean it Gracie. I'm here for you" Silas reminded her one last time.
"I know. I should be asking Chris for help though" she reminded herself before they both began walking back towards the car. Silas caught up with her and wrapped his arm around her waist, neither knew who's comfort it was for, but neither cared.