Chapter 40

Grace walked along the gravestones until she found the one she was looking for under a tree, tucked into a back corner. She read the inscription that she had etched five years ago:
Maddie Black
Beloved daughter and sister
Five years had passed and yet, it seemed so new, so raw. She moved to kneel in front of the gravestone, brushing away the fallen leaves, she moved the old flowers and replaced them with fresh ones. 
"Hey baby girl" she spoke to the stone "I know it's been a while. I'm sorry about that" she cleared her throat before beginning again "I've been seeing your dad for a while now, everything is...its pretty good. But, I can't help thinking that something is missing that I didn't notice when we were younger. We were always passionate, maybe we mistook that for young love. Having him back home, having the kids talk to him again its...its the same...but different. Am I wrong for wanting something different even after we fought for each other?" Grace let out a frustrated sigh "I love your daddy, Maddie. I've always loved him but, I want to be able to love someone without sex. I want something more than what Silas can give me" Grace sighed again before her phone started ringing in her pocket. She pulled it out, seeing it was Silas calling, she answered. 
"Hey Si"
"Hey Gracie. Where are you?"
"I went for a walk. Why?"
"I miss you" her heart twinged "Daisy also misses her Nanna"
"I have two stops to make first. Don't let the house burn down whilst I'm gone" she ordered gently. 
"Aye, aye captain" he replied before they both hung up. 

Grace headed to the other side of town, she found the house with a bright pink front door and headed up the steps and knocked on the door. A few seconds later the door was pulled open revealing Ashley on the other side with Max in her arms.
"Grace" Ashley froze at the sight of her.
"Hi Ashley. Can we talk?"
"Of course. Come on in" Ashley stepped aside, letting Grace into the house before she shut the door behind her.