Chapter 24

Grace had decided to pick up lunch from the diner in town for herself and Rose but on her journey back she spotted someone she hadn't seen in years.
"Christopher!" Grace called out to him, sending his head spinning around to see her.
"Grace!" He called back with a wide smile. Grace ran up the street and jumped into Christopher's arms pulling him into a tight hug.
"It's been so long. I've missed you" Grace smiled.
"I've missed you too. It's been too long" he smiled back.
"What are you doing back here?"
"I had some time and I decided to pay everyone a visit"
"I'm glad you did. When did you get out of the army?" She asked, leading him up the street.
"Before you and Silas got married. How is that going by the way?"
"It's not. We got divorced nearly 6 years ago, but we had 5 kids together" she smiled.
"I'm glad. Not about the divorce about the kids, you were always good with kids" he smiled.
"What about you? Did you get married?"
"Yeah. I met a nice girl, we have a son who's in the army. My wife passed a few years ago" he frowned.
"I'm sorry" Grace frowned.
"Don't be. She was an amazing person and I'm happy to have shared my life with her" he smiled "So what are you up to lately?"
"Working and raising my kids. Alex, our youngest is 16 so I have a few more mom years left in me" she smiled.
"So, not much free time then?"
"I have time, I just like to keep busy"
"So, theoretically if I were to ask you what you were doing for dinner tonight, what would the answer be?" He smiled.
"The answer would be, nothing I can't do at a later date" she smiled.
"So, Grace will you go to dinner with me tonight?" He asked.
"Okay" she smiled "This is me" she motioned towards her store.
"Okay. I have people to see so I'll pick you up later? Say around 8 O'clock?" He suggested.
"Okay" she smiled back before heading into the store.
"Someone looks oddly cheerful again, did Silas pay you a visit?" Rose smirked.
"No. But I do have a date tonight with an old friend" Grace smiled.

Grace straightened her slim fit green dress before she slipped her earrings on.
"Wow" Came Alex's voice from the doorway "Where are you going?" they asked. 
"I have a date with an old friend of mine" Grace told them as she slipped on her heels.
"What about dad?" Alex frowned.
"It's complicated with your dad and me, Al. I'm moving on so that he can and he can be there for his baby" Grace explained.
"But what about you?" Alex frowned deeper. Grace motioned for them to join her on the end of the bed. Alex crossed the room and sat next to their mother who wrapped her arm around them.
"I was happy with your dad a long time ago and when he left I found happiness, and now I'm going to be happy again. The thing about loving someone is that you sometimes know better than them what they need and your dad needs to raise this baby because he feels guilty about what happened five years ago" Grace explained.
"I like dad and I love you"
"Good, because I don't want you to have to choose which parent you want. Your dad's a good man who deserves to know you and the amazing person you are" Grace smiled.
"Even now you still talk about him in a good way"
"Because I'll always love him for the amazing children he gave me and the good time we had together"
"Did you ever think about getting back together?" Alex suggested.
"I don't think it's in the cards for us now. Your dad deserves a second chance"
"But, it could've been with you. It still can be" Alex told her.
"When did you become so wise?" Grace joked, smiling down at her child. The doorbell rang out, disturbing their moment together.
"I better get that before Miles gives him the third degree" Grace smiled.
"And kicks his ass" Alex joked, following her mother out of the room.

Miles stood by the door, his arms folded over his chest as he looked Christopher over.
"Can I help you?"
"I'm here to see Grace, which one of five are you?" He smiled.
"I'm Miles, the oldest. Who are you?"
"Christopher. I knew you mom growing up" Chris told him, smiling as she saw Grace approaching them.
"Hey Chris. I see you've met Miles" Grace smiled.
"Yes, he's been keeping me company here" he smiled back.
"Where are you going?" Miles asked.
"The Thompson's restaurant. What time do you want her home by?" Chris asked.
"11. 12 at the latest" he told them sternly.
"Yes sir" Chris nodded.
"I'll see you later. Make sure Archer and Oliver come home soon I don't want them out all night" Grace told him and Miles nodded.
"Night mom" Alex smiled.
"Night baby" Grace kissed the top of their head before she followed Chris put of the house.

"So if you don't mind me asking, what happened between you and Silas?" Chris asked.
"We lost a baby. It would've been another girl and we both were struggling. Si thought it would be better to... seek comfort elsewhere" Grace explained.
"I'm sorry"
"It's actually quite funny. He married Ashley and now she's pregnant" Grace laughed lightly.
"That doesn't sound too funny"
"Trust me it is. If you don't mind me asking, how did your wife die?"
"Heart attack. It was quick, she didn't suffer, it was a good death as far as deaths go" he shrugged sadly.
"I'm sorry"
"This is supposed to be a date and we've turned it into something sad" he chuckled.
"Let's change the subject, tell me what do you do in your spare time?" Grace asked.
"I like to read"
"Me too"
"I know you like to paint but I've never been very good at art or anything that requires any patience" he laughed.
"You should meet my kids, you'll have endless patience afterwards" Grace joked as Chloe brought their food to them "Hey Chloe" She smiled.
"Hey Grace" she smiled nervously.
"I know about the two of you and the apartment. It's okay, I'm just glad Miles is happy" Grace smiled.
"He's worried about you, all the time. He's trying to give me everything but he wants to protect you" she told her "Sorry, I'm disturbing your date" she smiled.
"Thank you for telling me that" Grace smiled at her before she left.
"Family business?"
"Yes" Grace sighed "Children grow up and parents aren't ready for it" She sighed before finally tucking into her food.

Chris and Grace walked arm in arm up to the porch of her home.
"Tonight was nice" he smiled.
"It was. It was different. In a good way. I'm happy we decided to do this" she smiled.
"Well, seeing as this was so nice we would be foolish not to repeat it don't you think?" He smiled.
"Definitely" she smiled.
"How about tomorrow night?" He suggested.
"That sounds perfect" she smiled "Goodnight" she said awkwardly.
"Goodnight" he smiled awkwardly. The silence filled the air, seemingly growing with every second that passed. The door swung open, revealing Miles on the other side of the door.
"Did you have a good evening?" He asked.
"Yes we did" Grace smiled.
"And I got her home on time" Chris smiled before they fell into awkward silence again.
"Well, goodnight Chris. I'll see you tomorrow" Grace smiled, kissing his cheek.
"Goodnight Gracie" he smiled. Grace closed the door behind her as she entered the house, meeting Miles judgemental gaze.
"What's with the look?" She asked.
"I need to make sure he's good for you"
"I can take care of myself"
"Yeah right. You were about to kiss him when I answered the door"
"And? I'm a grown up, I can kiss who I want"
"You shouldn't put out out on a first date" he challenged playfully.
"And you should mind your own" she playfully joked back, pinching him lightly.
"Did you have a nice night?"
"I did" she smiled.
"Good" he smiled "Goodnight mom"
"Goodnight baby" she smiled, kissing his cheek.