Ch#53: "Pulsating Hearts"

Maeve's Pov:

Sighing with a bored expression and a lonely gaze, I glanced towards my hand where the IV was connected. My bed had become my solace while my phone and pillow were my amenities. It was as if my body had just given up on me, and I had to learn back my moving abilities.

5 days earlier, I escaped death and frequently damaged myself but who could say I was at fault?

Peter had undoubtedly tortured me and manipulated Allison in the worst way possible. If Allison had just been loyal to us and not listened to him, maybe she'd be here today and maybe she would've found her mate.

This is what the curse does to you once you implement it. The user knows what they're doing but they don't stop till the time they get what they want. Perhaps Allison knew everything was wrong but she thought this would be her liberation which it wasn't.

Zelda had started talking since last night and I felt extremely happy that she had come back. Silver had done the both of us a lot of damage which I knew was lethal.

"Davien, where are you?" I mind linked my mate and my tone was pretty whiny. He should know better than to leave me in solitude again.

Nonetheless, I didn't get a reply from him which is ridiculous because mind linking is not like using a phone, he has it, he heard it but he chose to ignore it. I knew he would be busy with his paperwork but it felt like forever ever since he had left the house.

"02:15" showed the clock hanging on the wall. "Only 4 hours?" I asked myself as I sat up confused. Davien had woken up way earlier than me and left the house when I was still asleep. He kissed my forehead and whispered something incoherent to my senses which I don't remember well.

Before I could do anything further, I heard the main door unlocking and shutting as footsteps rained upwards. My room exit opened and my tired-looking mate entered inside making me raise a brow.

"Good evening love. I didn't expect you to be awake," He said upon entering and placing his keys and phone on the bedside table.

"I just woke up," I gave him a short, cold reply as I just glanced away showing him I was mad.

"Good! Show mate who's the queen!" Zelda's reply made me chuckle as I heard Davien sitting down next to me.

"Why is my baby mad? Tell your King and he will make everything okay," He held my hand and spoke sarcastically as I looked at him with an angry expression.

"Well, for starters, the King should not leave his Queen alone," I replied as he nodded with a smile and then held my hand which had the IV attached.

He sighed and kept looking at my hand. I knew what he was thinking. He had been blaming himself for the damage of the pack and the fact that I was hurt too. We couldn't talk much as Davien would always leave for meetings and several funerals of our beloved warriors.

"It's okay. I'm better now Davi. You don't need to keep blaming yourself," I whispered to him as he glanced back at me and his expression was sadness and regret. I searched his eyes showing a stale face making me sigh and place my hand on his cheek.

"It's not about that," He said in a hushed whisper. "You suffered again and I wasn't there. I don't even blame Peter, I blame myself. I was so haunted the time I saw your blood on the front of our house. I am so sorry."

I couldn't even process everything he had just said as he just looked away and placed his hands on his face, to not let me see him suffering.

"Davien, oh baby. I am okay now don't you see? I'm so much better now," I took his hands off of his face as he let me but all I could see was pain.