Ch#38: "Qualms"

*Warning* This chapter contains mature content. Be advised.

Maeve's Pov:

With my shaky breath and trembling hands, I saw the note written on the window. It looked like someone wrote it from the inside but that wasn't the most frightening thing.

The note read, "I hope you're prepared for your end Maeve. I'll fucking kill you and everything you love." The writing was pretty awful and the fact that someone wrote it.

Zelda had been screaming in my mind to just let her out and murder whoever did this but I stopped her.

I felt like throwing up as tears ran down my cheeks. Davien would've felt it through our mate bond as I heard footsteps running down the stairs. "Maeve! What happened-" before he could complete his question, he saw me crying and looked at the note on the window.

I looked at him teary eyed and a sob escaped my mouth. When would this fucking end? When will my misery go away?

"Oh baby," he turned me around to not make me look at it again. My heart was hurting, how will I escape this? What did I do to deserve this? "Shh, it's okay. Don't cry. I won't let anything happen to you," Davien whispered near my ear and rubbed a hand down my back to soothe me.

I didn't know when or at what time I had passed out from all the crying.

I woke up again in our bed and sat up slightly. My head ached a little as I rubbed my hand on it to soothe the pain. A deep sigh escaped my mouth as I yawned and closed my eyes for a moment.

I came up to a conclusion that I would go and take a short bath to soothe my nerves. Whatever happened today was scary but I know that I am strong and everything will be okay. I can face this. If I faced 20 years of torture, then I can face this too.

The water calmed me down and a breathy sigh of relief escaped my lips as I started washing myself. After my bath, I put a towel around myself and got out of the bath.

I looked at myself in the mirror, I looked and felt better. In the 8 months I've lived here with Davien, I can't thank him enough for being my mate. I have gained more weight and the scars have slowly faded, which makes me feel better.

A knock disturbed my alone time as I sighed and wrapped the towel around myself again. "Love, you in there?" Davien asked from outside as I went over and opened the door.

"Yeah, I was just showering," I gave him a small smile and moved out of the bathroom. I felt arms wrap me from behind, making me smile and rest my head on his arms.

"I love you," he mumbled as he placed his chin on my head and I felt him sniff my wet hair making me giggle.

"I love you too," I said as he kissed my head and pulled away. He turned me around and kissed my forehead this time and just held my hands. This man is something else. He never fails to give me butterflies. I love his kisses so much, his lips are so soft and warm.

"Okay, so as you said that you don't want any secrets between us, I told the guards to patrol around our house. Detective Jawad was here and he said that he can't pick up any fingerprints or footprints," he explained as I nodded.

"So the squad is downstairs right now, we're discussing everything. Do you want to go?" He asked me and I sighed.

"Yeah, I should be there," I left his hands and went on to wear my clothes. After wearing his hoodie and shorts, we both went down and I saw everyone present.

"Hey Mae!" Tiana greeted and stood up. "How are you?" She asked as she gave me a hug, making me smile and hug her back.

"I am fine now," I replied and pulled away. "Thank you guys for being here," I told them as they all nodded.