Chapter 6: Mom

We walked outside and our thoughts were muffled by the voices of many. The warmth and the sunlight reflecting from the sky hit us like bullets. Tyler walked close to me as we passed many people giving us strange looks. I have the slightest idea why people were staring at us. Maybe it was because they didn't even know that we were here.

I saw my blond haired mom talking to an overweight woman stuffing her face with brownies. They looked to be in deep conversation about something important. My normal instinct told me to go away and not bother her. But today was a day of defiance. I was not being myself today.

I looked over at Tyler who looked just as uncomfortable as I was. I walked over to my mom trying to be polite and quiet. She noticed me there and said "Hey Ella, where have you been?" she asked sounding pleasant. At least she was having a good time. "Inside. I was watching TV." I said. I was a great liar.

"Oh, okay. Would you like to introduce me to your friend?" she said while looking over at Tyler. Tyler seemed a little less uncomfortable. He was just looking at me waiting for my queue. "This is Tyler, mom. He goes to the society group. And apparently his grandparents know aunt Kim." I said to my mom. She did not look upset or mad that I was hanging out with a stranger that she did not know about. She seemed pleasantly surprised and really happy.

"Well really nice to meet you Tyler." she stuck her hand out to shake Tyler's hand. Tyler stuck his out calmly and shook my mothers hand without questioning. "Uh It's really nice to meet you too, Ella's mom."

"You can call me Mary." my mom said with a smile plastered so wide on her face. I looked at Tyler and then he said "Okay, Mary"

"So what's up Ella?" I think my mom realized that Tyler was uncomfortable because she turned attention back to me. "Well, I was wondering if Tyler could take me to society group tonight instead of you." I said to her. It looked as if she was concentrating on something and then she finally said "I don't know how I feel about that Ella. I'm just meeting Tyler for the first time. I know nothing about him."

I looked over to Tyler and he had one hand on the back of his neck rubbing it as if relieving stress. He looked over at me and gave a "what are we going to do now" glance.

"I know him mom and I trust him." as soon as I said it I looked over the Tyler once again and he had a smile on his face. "I still don't know. What's so bad about me taking you?" she asked. "Nothing mom. He's really nice. I'll be safe." I said trying to defend my side.

"Nice doesn't always cut it." she said eyeing tyler. Then Tyler astonishingly said "Ella I don't think this is a good idea if it makes your mom uncomfortable." He was right. But I still wasn't going to give up. My mom said "I really appreciate that Tyler."

"Mom please." I begged.

She didn't say a word. Her eyes just kept bouncing between us. She would look at me then she would look at Tyler. You could tell she was trying to conjure up an answer to my question. "You can go. But you better call me right when you get there. Let me know when you made it there safely. And if you even see Tyler texting and driving," she said staring directly at Tyler and the color drained from his face and he got nervous "you smack the phone right out of his hand."

"Thank you, Mary, I promise I will get her there safe." he said. My mom looked at him and nodded. "You better." she joked but neither of us laughed we just stood there with a blank expressions on our face.

She gave up and said "Well you guys have a little bit of time before you go so why don't you guys enjoy the party." she said with a smile. The fat lady whose name I still did not know said "Yeah, take a load off. Have some fun."

"And another thing tell me before you leave okay Ella?" my mom asked. "Okay."

Me and Tyler walked away with satisfied expressions on her faces. After all of this went down I had one thing on my mind. Tyler was in a band. I know I should give up on that subject. But it was a little weird and bizarre. I almost still don't believe it but he made it so convincing. I have a few more questions I want to ask him. But he spoke first and asked "Would you like to just go back inside? We're going to have to leave in a little while anyway." I nodded my head and we both made our way inside the house.