Chapter 3: Return

On the way home that night me and my mom picked up Chick-fil-A. I got grease soaked chicken nuggets. With a lemonade. I wasn't even really that hungry. But I ate my food anyway.

When we reached home the house still seemed as depressing and dark as usual. It did not feel inviting and comforting. I Walked into the dark house and turned on the lights. The adjustment from darkness to light gave me a small migraine. I had eaten my food on the way so I just tossed my trash into the trashcan.

"Let me guess you're going to sleep?" my mom asked me. "Yes it's been a long day. Why?" I asked right back. "I just wanted to, you know, talk about what happened. Celebrate if you will." she said with a sarcastic laugh.

"We just talked about stuff. Everyone said their story. That's about all that happened." I said with no energy left in me. Today had been a long day and I was very tired. I wanted to lay in my bed and sleep but all my mother wanted to do was talk about the magnificent change this society group brought to me. Yes I do feel a little better that somebody finally understands and knows the way I feel. But then again nothing really changes, talking about my feelings doesn't bring my dad back.

"Okay then, well, I'm just happy you enjoyed it. Whatever happened in there must've been something good for you." she quietly while sipping on her drink, which she still had not finished.

"Night." I said and started to slide my way into my room. I heard her briefly say "Good night sweetheart."

I walked into my room and put some pajamas on. Then I snuggled inside my bed which was so comforting at the moment. I looked up at the ceiling and I started to think about things. It's only been a day and all of this has happened. I've made a new friend, I let people in a little. But like always I know this is going to vanish. My new friend will start to drift away for me and forget about me. Pretty soon I'll stop going to the society groups. I just know all of this is going to go down so fast.

Yes the society group was comforting and it made me feel a little better. But I know myself. Things are going to get too overwhelming and I'm going to give up just like I always do. And that Tyler kid, I know it's good to think that I have a friend but he probably just feels bad for me. I need to get to sleep now......

I woke up from a dreamless sleep and I checked the time on my phone. It was 12:04pm. Oh my gosh I slept incredibly late. I don't think I've ever slept this late in my life. But it felt good. I got to escape the world and reality for a little while, and it was nice.

I scurried out of bed and got dressed and ready for the day. Once I accomplished that task I dashed out of my room only to see my mother sitting on the couch watching a soap opera with a cup of something in her hands. "Thanks for letting me sleep."

I must've startled her because she looked at me in a surprised way and jumped a little. "You're welcome. I know you had a long day yesterday." I just nodded and took a seat by her on the couch.

"I'm happy you got dressed because we're going to your aunts house. It's Parker's birthday today and they're having a birthday party. And it doesn't end until 6:30 so we're going to go straight from the party to the Society group." my mom said casually. Well this was a little overwhelming. I didn't even know Parker was having a birthday party. But apparently he is and apparently we are going.

"Oh. What time does it start?" I asked. Perfect. It's summer break and already I'm constantly busy. I just want to stay in my house all day and not go anywhere. But my mom has other plans.

"It started at 12. So we are going to be a little late but are you ready to go now?" she acts as if I wasn't even just waking up. "I mean sure. This is all so sudden."I said sounding a little too aggravated. "It was kind of a last minute thing." my mom snapped back.

"Now since you're ready let's go. We are already late. Your lucky I let you sleep though." I just nodded my head and started to walk towards the front door. I walked out the door and the bright sunlight hit my face like a wall. I was blinded for a few seconds but then my eyes adjusted.

Once we got to the car my mom said "I already went shopping this morning I got him some type of nerf gun. I just grabbed the first one I saw. All boys seem to love those." she looked at me for approval and I just said "Yeah. I've never seen a boy who didn't like a Nerf gun." she smiled and added "I put both of our names on the bags if you're wondering."

"I wasn't but it's nice to know." I said. I know that was kind of harsh but I was in a bad mood. I was going to have to go to this party with a bunch of eight-year-olds running around. It's not very exciting.

Once we reached my aunts house and the party grounds, it was just as I was expecting. There were tons of kids running around and half of the little boys were shirtless and shooting each other with play guns. All the little girls were drawing with chalk of the cement and I even saw a few crying to their mothers.

Once my aunt spotted us she rushed towards us and squeezed us both into one giant hug. "Oh I'm so happy you came. Look I'll take this for you." she said reaching for the present my mom had in her hand. She grabbed it from her and my mother said "We wouldn't miss it. Now where is that little noodle?" my aunt and my mom laughed and I just stood there looking lost.

"Who knows. Probably swimming in the pool." my aunt said then continued. "Hi Ella. You've grown from the last time I seen you, how are you?" she asked full of enthusiasm but I know she truly didn't care. She was just trying to look like a nice person in front of my mom. "I've been doing okay." I did not ask her how she was doing in return because I honestly did not want to know.

"Good, that's good." she fake smiled and looked at my mother. I grabbed the present from my aunt and said "You know what I got this I will go find the rest of the presents." I wanted an excuse to leave. "Oh okay all the presents are on the table." she said and I was on my way.

I carefully stepped around about a dozen children, I did not want to step on any toes and be the fault of a child's cry. I got waves and nods and smiles from other family members, but I gave off the impression that I was busy and I did not have time to talk. Which worked out perfectly because every time somebody would go to talk to me I would escape and act like I had no time to talk.

I walked into the cold house which felt way better than the blistering sun. I saw the giant heap of presents atop the table and I placed mine right along with them. Now that I no longer had a duty, I had no idea what I'm going to do for the next six hours. I already know this is going to be another long day.

Mostly everyone was outside so the house wasn't too crowded. I've been to this house so many times that I know everything about it. I was thinking that maybe I could slip away and go in to Parkers room where no one would find me. Where no one would ask me to conversate with them. Where no one would ask me how I'm doing since my dad's death. Where my anxiety wouldn't kick in and I wouldn't have a panic attack right there.

That's exactly what I did. I made sure no one was looking from outside through the windows. I already knew that sooner or later someone was going to find me. But the few minutes that I could be lost was good enough for me. I walked down the hall and made it to the door of parkers room. I heard a noise inside and I almost started to panic. But it was the sound of the TV playing so I just figured he left it on.

I kept second thinking if I should go in there. My mom would not be too pleased if she found out that I was trying to hide away. But then again she would completely understand. So I quit pondering and opened the door.

I regretted my decision. Someone was in there. It was a boy. He had headphones in and he was laying on parkers bed watching something on his phone. Then he looked at me with big brown eyes and I knew exactly who it was.

"Ella?"

"Tyler?"