Chapter 5: A Band

"How about we don't do that." I said boldly and I wasn't sure if it was the right decision. "What do you mean?" he asked. "Let's go out there and face this big crowd of people. I probably sound very cheesy but I don't know......." my words trailed off.

All he did was laugh. He looked dead into my face and laughed. "Ella I'm not afraid of big crowds. It's the one on one that gets to me." he said still laughing slightly. I had no idea why he was laughing or what was so funny.

"Why are you laughing?" I asked getting a little angry. He stopped laughing after he realized it was not funny to me. "You seriously don't know?" He said and I was still confused.

"No. Just tell me." I'm getting impatient.

"Twenty One Pilots does not ring a bell? I thought you knew." he said finally being serious. "I've heard of them but what does this have to do with anything?" I asked still confused. What even is Twenty One Pilots?

"That's my band. Well it's more like a two man show." he said and I was completely shocked. I couldn't believe that the Tyler I know was in a band. But of course they must not be very big if I had never heard of them. He continued "Me and my best friend Josh started it a couple years ago. We had no clue what we were getting ourselves into."

"Wait so this is like a real thing? You don't seem like the type to be in a band." I said still not believing what was happening. "Then you're just going to have to come see for yourself." he said. "What do you mean?"

"I mean we're having a concert tomorrow night. It's at Bohemian stadium. But it's already sold out so you're just going to have to take a back stage card." he said and I was in total disbelief. The Bohemian stadium is massive. I mean it's humongous. There was no way that the Tyler I know sold out that arena.

"You're kidding right? If you're really that big then why don't I see girls jumping out at you every chance they get?" I still do not believe it.

"I kinda have to be on the down low. I can't even tell anyone I'm going to that society group. So you can't say anything either. And no one can know that I'm over here right now. It's like band policy." he said.

"But you seem so quiet. You seem so stuck in your own shell. I can't imagine you being on stage in front of all those people." I said still trying to find the decency to believe him. "Some people express their emotions through dancing or sports etc. Mine is writing and singing and making stuff. When I'm on stage in front of all those people I feel like a whole different person if that makes any sense."

"It makes complete sense. But doesn't your anxiety kick in and you just fumble on stage? I'm sorry, but this is very hard to believe." I said slowly as if trying to drink it all up. He exhaled air through his nose and said "It's very hard for me to explain you all of this right now. Just come to the concert and you'll see. Just know that when I'm on stage I'm comfortable. Just like your dad was your cure for everything, this is mine." His brown eyes made contact with my blue ones and he just looked at me for second.

"Okay. I guess I believe you." I said still looking in his eyes. This was the first time that someone had used a metaphor to relate to me. It was quite nice and convincing. He seemed to bounce a little and was overjoyed and even said "Good. It'll be so much fun I promise. But let me just give you heads up okay?"

"Okay." was all I said. "Our music isn't, you know, average. For example, I play the ukulele and basically rap." I literally laughed at that. But I saw on his face that he wasn't joking and then I immediately felt bad. "Well that's a little overwhelming." I said quietly.

"I thought out of all people you would be the one to know about me." he said finding my eyes again. Which for some strange reason increased my heart rate. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"I don't know it's just my music is for emotional people basically because I'm an emotional guy." he said. "Well honestly I never even knew what Twenty One Pilots was until you told me. But what I don't understand is why you even come to the society group if what you're telling me is true and you are in a band." I said curiously.

"Well I kind of went through this depression state and my best friend Josh told me about it. So I went and I liked it, it kind of helps with my writers block." he said which was understandable so I decided not to persevere anymore. "So what you are telling me is you're in a band and your allegedly famous and you want me to come backstage to watch you perform. And if I give out your location you'll be instantly mauled by girls."

He laughed and said "Basically but look I'm not expecting you to believe me all of a sudden. I'm just surprised you didn't know. And I also have this really weird feeling as if my music could help you." he said and his words trade-off and he seemed as if he wanted to take them back. I did not get angry with him for treating me like I was a charity case, instead I blew it off and said "Maybe it will who knows." and smiled.

He smiled back and asked "Do you need a ride to the society group tonight? I wouldn't mind bringing you." I replied "My mom most likely will not let me go off with a stranger. But I can try since we aren't strangers anymore."

"Okay then."

"I'm gonna go ask her before it gets too late." I said turning away from him and walking towards the door. Tyler grabbed my arm and said "You're going to have to go into the wilderness of people and anxiety." he laughed at his own joke. "Well then would you like to come with me?"

I asked and I could hear the pity in my voice.

"Sure but please don't make me say a lot. I'll freeze. So spare me the embarrassment." he said and I just nodded letting him know that I would never do that to him. "I'll try but you know whats weird about you?" he just raised an eyebrow my way and asked "What?"

"You're afraid of one-on-one, I get that, but you have been talking to me like it was the easiest thing in the world." I said causing him to smile. "I know but you're pretty weird too. I'm not the only one that has been talking." he said back which caused me to smile out of no where. So I changed the subject.

"You know you could be a killer. I could get in the car with you and you could instantly stab me to death with a spoon." I said and he started to laugh. I liked that laugh a lot it was better than the down and sad face he always gave off. "A spoon? Nice imagination. But yeah I could be. Luckily I'm not and I would never stab you with a spoon." he said ending that in a laugh as well.

"I hope not." I said softly laughing.

"I wouldn't I swear." he said and his face was beginning to turn more serious. "I believe you."

It felt so good to laugh with someone. I haven't done that since forever. It felt so good to have a nice conversation with someone. Even though the conversation was about a disbelieving band he was in, it was still a conversation. And not once did I freeze and not have words to say. I was confident, and I was willing the entire time. And that was something I thought I would never do again. But life can totally surprise you sometimes.

"Um let's go find my mom so I can ask her." I told him and his expression seemed to turn into fear. "Tyler my mom is pretty decent okay. You have nothing to worry about." his face seemed to turn back to normal and you could tell something was on his mind.

Then a question came to me. "Tyler I have a question." his head bobbed up to look at me and he just said. "What is it?" "So your band apparently is a big thing?" I asked.

He smiled at the mention of his band and said. "I mean I don't like to think of it as a big thing but I guess you could say that."

"Well then don't you have to do like, interviews? With people." I asked. He let out a big sigh and then replied "Yes actually. But when I'm doing interviews I pretend as if I'm talking to my fans. It's hard to understand but it helps. It's not so much about the simple questions. I can talk about my music and my band so naturally. But when it comes to my feelings and my personal thoughts, it's a different story and Josh usually takes the mic." he said and that made a lot more sense.

"Well thanks for clearing that up for me. But now let's start our expedition. My mom wont be hard to fine." I said turning around to walk out the door. Tyler started astonishingly following behind me. I looked at him and he looked as if he was bracing himself for something.

"I'm gonna do this." I heard him softly and inaudibly mumbled to himself.