Ch.19

Novahs POV

After Michelle's house everyone had to go their separate ways.

I Invited Paulina to my place because we we're the only ones who had no where to be on Christmas. Paulina because her family isnt the best, and me well because my parents are diseased. I dont know what we're gonna do but I dont care because we both understand and get each other and that's all that matters.

"What's going on with you and Valen" She brings up like there's something actually going on

"We're just neighbors who occasionally hang out, there's nothing more to it" I say opening the door letting us in my apartment. "Yea and I'm happily married with 2 kids and living in the suburbs" she says sarcastically with a am I that dumb look. "Honestly don't know what your talking about, we've kiss once or twice but I've made it very clear to him that that's all there's gonna be. That's all I can give" I try to explain to her hoping it doesn't go one ear and come out the other.

"I dont think that's all you can give, I think your just scared to care for someone other than yourself." She reasons with me. "And before you say you don't even care for your self" She cuts me off. "You do, if you can wake up no matter how your feeling, get dressed, and come outside of your hole. Then you're taking care of yourself, it might not be to a high point of care. But it's something." Paulina finishes reading my mind clean. "Maybe you're right maybe you're wrong I don't know, but what I'm sure about is that Valen and I can't work." I finish up this little convo we're having not wanting to continue further

"You hungry" I ask as I roam my fridge, looking for something to eat since we didn't really eat at Michelle's since everyone had dinner to attend to. "Bro I'm fucking starvinggg" Paulina drags as she slides down my couch and lays flat on the floor dramatically. "Your so dramatic" I chuckle "you know you love me"

~•~

Paulina and I decided to make homemade pizza instead of ordering in. "Girl I've watched enough Hell's Kitchen to know you are not folding that dough correctly" Paulina laughs insulting my folding technique. "It's gonna taste the same bro, watch mines turn out better than yours" I semi challenge her with a playful smirk on my face.

"I'll bet you 20 bucks mines turns out better" she accepts my challenge. "Your on"

20 minutes past from our little cook off and we've both put our pizzas in the oven. "Let's watch the Grinch, I'm feeling evil now." Paulina says out of no where jumping off my counter and rummaging through my cabinets looking for snacks to eat while watching the movie.

She grabs a bag of hot Funyuns and some fudge striped cookies and make her way to the living room. "Cmon stop standing there and come sit with me, Santa forgot to eat these cookies so ima help myself" I chuckle at her silliness and come to sit with her. I turn on the tv and put on Grinch as we both lose our attention to the tv.

~•~

"Max get over here" The Grinch playing from the tv echoes through my apartment. The oven timer started to go off meaning our pizzas were ready. "Get your 20 out Paulina ima knock your taste buds off" I playfully shrug in front of her.

"Probably knock me unconscious." She mumbles under her breath but loud enough for me to hear her. I side eye her and she smiles ever so innocently. We bring the pizzas out, one looks like a circle and the other looks like a paint splatter. "I cant tell who's is gonna taste better" Paulina mimics in a sarcastic voice, pointing out the shape of hers and then..mines.

"Hey looks don't matter taste does, let's try mines first." I cut to slices and hand one to her, "By the time you try this you'll be sick of your own pizza" I cockily brag in her face. We take a bite and my mouth instantly goes sour. "Um Novah babes, when they said knock their taste buds off I DON'T THINK THEY MEANT EXTERMINATE THEM" she yells rushing to the sink to rinse her mouth. "Ok I might have added a little too much salt." I awkwardly swing my arms back and forth looking around avoiding her burning glare.

"A LITTLE?!" She starts to crack up almost choking on her water. "I'm a good cook I promise I just had a little salt malfunction" I said defending myself "yes I know I've tried your food, enough chit chat though let try my LESS salty pizza" she says emphasizes on the less part. We both grab a slice and take a bite and her was actually pretty ok. "It's ok..if ima be honest I think we both lose, Order in?" She questions

~•~

Paulina and I are now cuddled up on my couch watching the Grinch while eating the pizza we ordered not too long ago. It feels good to just be around someone who gets me and to not feel judged. I don't hate the people I hang out with now, but I just never feel like they understand me. Which they don't, so I can never be myself. I have to fake who I am everyday and it's so exhausting and hard to do almost everyday.

But with Paulina I can let my guard down slightly and not be afraid. It's a comforting feeling you know. I haven't been comfortable In a while so I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Thank you guys for reading chapter 19, y'all were almost hallways through the book. This book is going to have 50-60 chapters Haven't really settled on one but somewhere around that ballpark. See you guys on chapter 20

Xoxo