Dark Inferno, Part 1

Penny is at the park.

That is, Penny, and Jill, Damien, Tanner, Cyan, Marduk, Dylan, Joe, Julie, Runo, Dan, Marucho, and Shun.

What a crowd.

They're all here for a pretty good reason, though: the top brawlers. Thanks to Cyan managing to best Klaus, Hal-G has had enough. At least, that's what Dan heard down the grapevine when Masquerade approached him soon after Klaus went storming off.

"Alright, everyone."

Penny stands with Dan as everyone else gathers around.

"...it looks like we didn't need to lure them out regardless. However, we still need to stick together: we gotta make sure we can neutralize the Negative Energy all at once. I still dunno how this will go down, but, well..."

Penny notices Leonidas float up and turn somewhere, seemingly magnetized towards something. Vladitor does the same thing, as Marduk adjusts his mask and gives a somewhat nervous chuckle.

"Well, Penny. Guess we're about to find out real fast."

Penny steps back as Masquerade and Hal-G appear in front of them. Hal-G seems frustrated, which is nice, but Masquerade is just as calm as ever.

"Hmm. I cannot believe that a group of kids could..."

Hal-G frustratedly shakes his head. Masquerade, meanwhile, calmly glares at Marduk.

"You. You caused this, didn't you?"

Marduk looks a little nervous.

"...y-you're placing a lot more faith in me now that I'm gone, huh..."

"Yes, that's right, you're so useless that all you can do is hide behind the true culprits."

Masquerade turns his attention to Penny as she confidently meets his gaze.

"You certainly have been busy, have you not?"

Penny clenches her fists as she makes a reach for her Field Card.

"You really think I'm the only one doing things? Masquerade, all of us are sick and tired of you and Hal-G. Give it up. We've interfered, we're interfering, and we're gonna interfere again. I'm just so, so sorry that some people don't like having their lives stepped on!"

Hal-G pauses for a few moments before laughing in Penny's face, much to her dismay.

"You think it's all about you, don't you?"

Penny can't really find a way to respond to that, but, the more he talks, the more info she gets.

"Somehow, through some twist of your reality, you're making this entire thing about you and your friends! Ahaha, foolish girl."

Hal-G smiles cruelly at the entire group, gesturing at them with his staff.

"This goes far beyond the scope of what you could possibly imagine, Ms. Sullivan. I could have control over Vestroia, over Earth, over so much more. Unfortunately... I seem to have thirteen obnoxious teenaged humans as some particularly rude road blocks."

Hal-G suddenly pauses and frowns a bit before looking at Penny with some odd curiosity to his face.

"What is it that drives you?"

He holds a hand up as Dan goes to speak.

"Not you, Dan. While yes, you are almost as annoying, I was asking the one who stole Leonidas right from my hands... is it hatred? Fear? Power? I cannot tell. You are a most interesting human, Penny. It is a shame I don't have you on my side, as close as we were getting..."