182. Disgruntled Embrace

Althea was hiding in the corridor, pretending to read a book as Ginny and Luna got everyone to leave the hall Umbridge's office was in. Her job, they had decided, was to pretend to read all the while watching everyone around them to make sure she knew what they were doing and could watch for Umbridge or her Inquisitorial Squad.

She had only been pretending for three minutes when suddenly, she felt herself grabbed from behind. Dropping her book, she shouted, "Let go of me!"

"I don't think so," the sneering voice of Draco Malfoy hissed, keeping a tight hold of her.

"Let go!" she shrieked, stamping on his foot as hard as she could.

Stunned, he released her, cursing in pain. Instantly, Althea broke into a run, not daring to glance back to see if he was following her. The next moment, however, she came crashing back to the ground, hitting her hands and knees painfully against the stone floor in her attempt to stop her fall. Wincing, she did not fight as Draco shoved her to her feet, taking hold of her again.

"Hey, what are you doing?" a voice shouted.

Althea looked up in surprise to see Neville.

.

"Got 'em all," a big Slytherin named Warrington said, shoving Ron into the room. Pointing at Neville, who was being contained by Crabbe, he added, "That one tried to stop Malfoy from taking her."

Althea gave Harry an apologetic look as she was forced to a stop. Luna was led in after her, looking as comfortable and relaxed as if she were asleep. Ginny came last, struggling furiously against the big Slytherin girl holding her.

"So, Potter," Umbridge said briskly. "You stationed lookouts around my office and you sent this buffoon-" Here she gestured to Ron "-to tell me the poltergeist was wreaking havoc in the Transfiguration department when I knew perfectly well that he was busy smearing ink on the eyepieces of all the school telescopes, Mr Filch having just informed me so. Clearly, it was important for you to talk to somebody. Was it Albus Dumbledore? Or the half-breed, Hagrid? I doubt it was Minerva McGonagall. I hear she is still too ill to talk to anyone..."

Althea went pale with rage as several of the Slytherins began to laugh. Her jaw clenched so tightly it began to ache.

"It's none of your business who I talk to," Harry snarled. He too was furious, so much so that he was shaking with rage.

"Very well," Umbridge said in her most dangerously sweet voice, her face beginning to tighten. "Very well, Mr Potter...I offered you the chance to tell me freely. You refused. I have no alternative but to force you. Theodore - fetch Professor Snape."

At the sound of his name, Harry and Althea quickly made eye contact, their eyes slightly wide. They had both forgotten about Snape. There had been a member of the Order at the school after all. In the silence that followed, Umbridge slowly approached Althea, a smirk on her face.

"I'm almost glad of this," she remarked in honeyed tones. Althea's eyes flashed as she met her gaze. "Now I have all the reason in the world to expel you. Then, once I fire your mother, Hogwarts will no longer be tainted by the presence of people who tolerate such-"

"May I ask you something?" Althea broke in suddenly, her voice carefully controlled and soft. Umbridge stared at her in shock at her daring. "Why do you hate half-humans? Do you have a reason, or is it just pride? Or maybe something else entirely...Do you loathe yourself for never being able to achieve half the things some half-humans have? Is it all just a-"

"ENOUGH!" Umbridge shrieked.

Althea smiled at her.

"I see I've hit a nerve...but all that means is that I was ri-"

Before Althea could finish her statement, Umbridge back-handed her across the face, knocking her head to the side. Hidden behind the waves of her fiery hair, Althea fumed before she turned back to look at her, her expression impassive. She knew Umbridge's rings had cut her - she could feel the blood beginning to stream down her cheek - but what she had not expected was for the metallic penny taste to fill her mouth. Nearly gagging, she spat it out.

"You wanted to see me, Headmistress?" Snape said, coming back into the room, his eyes scanning over the struggling students, lingering slightly on Harry and Althea.

"Ah, Professor Snape," Umbridge said quickly, shifting her gaze from Althea. "Yes, I would like another bottle of veritaserum, as quick as you can, please."

"You took my last bottle to interrogate Potter and Black," Snape said coolly. "Surely you did not use it all? I told you that three drops would be sufficient."

Umbridge flushed.

"You can make some more, can't you?" she said, her voice becoming sweetly girlish again.

"Certainly," Snape replied, his lip curling. "It takes a full moon cycle to mature, so I should have it ready for you in around a month."

"A month?" Umbridge squawked. "A month? But I need it this evening, Snape! I have just found Potter using my fire to communicate with a person or persons unknown!"

"Really?" Snape said with faint interest, shifting his gaze from Umbridge to Harry. "Well, it doesn't surprise me. Potter has never shown much inclination to follow school rules."

Harry met his gaze unflinchingly, willing Snape to see into his mind and see what he had seen when he had fallen asleep.

"I wish to interrogate him!" Umbridge cried angrily. "I wish you to provide me with a potion that will force him to tell me the truth!"

"I have already told you," Snape said smoothly, shifting his gaze to look back at her. "I have no further stocks of veritaserum. Unless you wish to poison Potter - and I assure you that I would have the greatest sympathy with you if you did - I cannot help you. The only trouble is that most venoms act too fast to give the victim much time for truth-telling..."

"You are on probation!" Umbridge shrieked.

Snape raised his eyebrows slightly, his lips curling ever so slightly.

"You are being deliberately unhelpful! I expected better. Lucius Malfoy always speaks most highly of you! Now get out of my office!" Umbridge shouted.

Sharing panicked looks, Althea and Harry both shouted at once, "He's got Padfoot!"

"Professor-"

"The place where it's hidden and-"

"Please, tell-"

They quickly fell silent as Umbridge looked between them furiously. Snape was looking interchangeably between Harry and Althea, his expression indiscernible.

"Padfoot?" Umbridge cried. "What is Padfoot? Where what is hidden? What do they mean, Snape?"

Snape shifted his cold gaze from Harry to Umbridge as he said, "I have no idea. When I want nonsense shouted at me, I shall give the two of you a Babbling Beverage. And Crabbe, loosen your hold a little. If Longbottom suffocates it will mean a lot of tedious paperwork, and I am afraid I shall have to mention it on your reference if you ever apply for a job."