108. Answering the Call

The moment he was out of sight of the students, staff, and those watching, Ellis' smile fell. His hands began to shake as he approached Moody, standing around the corner waiting for him.

"You set it up?" he growled.

"Yes," Ellis said. "How soon afterwards should I go?"

"Only when called," Moody snapped. "Any sooner, and-"

"I need to patrol," Ellis interrupted, turning from him and beginning to move around the maze, watching the sky and listening closely for any cries or sparks.

How long he wandered around the maze, how long he twitched and jittered, expecting at every moment to be called...he never afterwards knew. But then, something unexpected happened. He drew in a sharp hiss as a searing pain sprang up on his forearm. Drawing back his sleeve, Ellis stared at his arm, his eyes wide. Branded there, as though it had always been, was a mark, the same mark he had seen on the arm of his older brother all his life, the same mark he had grown to understand as quickly and easily as his own name.

Then, he turned on his heel and disappeared with a pop.

.

Ellis hadn't been sure it would work, but as he opened his eyes, he found himself standing in a graveyard. Other figures were appearing all around him, all masked. They began to move forward slowly, cautiously, not believing their eyes. Although he had been told what he would see, Ellis couldn't believe his eyes either. He began to move forward before coming to a stop, the shadow of a yew tree partially hiding him from sight.

Death Eater after Death Eater fell to their knees, scuttling forward to kiss the hem of the robes of a figure Ellis hadn't seen since he was a small child. They formed a silent circle around Voldemort and a gravestone. Ellis' heart dropped as he saw who was tied to it.

"Welcome, Death Eaters," Voldemort said, his voice oddly cool and quiet for someone so terribly powerful. "Thirteen years...thirteen years since last we met. Yet you answer my call as though it were yesterday...Though, one of you is hiding."

Ellis' blood froze as he realized Voldemort was looking directly at him. The Death Eaters turned to look as well. Ellis glanced quickly at Harry before he stepped into the full light of the moon. He met Voldemort's gaze unflinchingly as he walked into the circle.

"Who are you?" Voldemort asked, his voice even softer.

Ellis tried to ignore the wide-eyed look Harry was giving him.

Drawing in a long breath, Ellis replied, "I am Ellis Lestrange, my lord, younger brother to Rabastan and Rodolphus Lestrange and brother-in-law...to Bellatrix Lestrange."

His voice cool and quiet, Voldemort said, "Ah, yes, I remember now. Little twig of a boy you were then, always running after your older brothers."

"Yes, my lord," Ellis replied, his voice so soft it nearly broke.

Then, he drew back his sleeve, revealing to Voldemort his mark on his forearm.

"It appeared on my arm this evening," Ellis explained at Voldemort's questioning look. "I don't know why or how."

"I do," Voldemort replied, smiling and taking Ellis' arm in hand as he brought it closer to himself as he looked at it. "Your brother Rabastan did that. He dedicated your life to me when you were born. I had feared his death would stop that commitment. It seems I was wrong. Take his place, Ellis, in the circle."

Ellis stared at him a moment before he turned, going to stand in the largest gap, which he knew must be the void left by the Lestranges. There was some cheering, some clapping on the back as he passed, but Ellis ignored all of it, keeping his eyes resolutely on the ground.

Harry stared at him as he passed. Words did not describe the emotions he was feeling. He had not been close with Ellis. He had barely known him, but the shock was too much. How could Bill be so deceived in him?

"We are still united under the Dark Mark, then! Or are we?" Voldemort called, turning to look at each Death Eater. He tilted his head back, closing his eyes as he drew in a long breath, his nostrils flaring. "I smell guilt. There is a stench of guilt upon the air. I see you all, whole and healthy, with your powers intact - such prompt appearances! - and I ask myself...why did this band of wizards never come to the aid of their master, to whom they swore eternal loyalty?"

There was no answer other than the silence.

"I shall answer myself," Voldemort whispered, though the sound carried regardless. "They must have believed me broken, they thought I was gone. They slipped back among my enemies, and they pled innocence, and ignorance, and bewitchment...And then I ask myself, but how could they have believed I would not rise again? They, who knew the steps I took, long ago, to guard myself against mortal death? They, who had seen proofs of the immensity of my power in the times when I was mightier than any wizard living?"

Ellis looked up, his eyes flashing with interest.

"And I answer myself," Voldemort resumed, "perhaps they believed a still greater power could exist, one that could vanquish even Lord Voldemort...perhaps they now pay allegiance to another...perhaps that champion of commoners, of mudbloods and muggles, Albus Dumbledore?" The Death Eaters muttered their denial, stirring for the first time since he began his speech. "It is a disappointment to me...I confess myself disappointed..."

One of the Death Eaters suddenly jumped forward, falling on the ground at Voldemort's feet, shouting, "Master! Master, forgive me! Forgive us all!"

With his high, cold laugh, Voldemort raised his wand, shouting, "Crucio!" Ellis' expression was impassive. When the Death Eater had stopped writhing, he said, "Get up, Avery. Stand up. You ask for forgiveness? I do not forgive. I do not forget. Thirteen long years...I want thirteen years' repayment before I forgive you. Wormtail here has paid some of his debt already, have you not, Wormtail?"