171. What an Interesting Insight Into Our Justice System

"But it does not matter if she won't speak, I can take up the story from here. You will remember, Minister, that I sent you a report back in October that Potter had met a number of fellow students in the Hog's Head in Hogsmeade-"

"And what is your evidence for that?" Professor McGonagall cut in quickly.

"I have testimony from Willy Widdershins, Minerva, who happened to be in the bar at the time. He was heavily bandaged, it is true, but his hearing was quite unimpaired. He heard every word Potter said and hastened straight to the school to report to me-" Umbridge began.

"Oh, that's why he wasn't prosecuted for setting up all those regurgitating toilets," McGonagall said with raised eyebrows. "What an interesting insight into our justice system!"

"Blatant corruption!" a portrait shouted indignantly. "The Ministry did not cut deals with petty criminals in my day, no sir, they did not!"

"Thank you, Fortescue, that will do," Dumbledore replied soothingly.

"The purpose," Umbridge resumed, looking abashed, "of Potter's meeting with these students was to persuade them to join an illegal society, whose aim was to learn spells and curses the Ministry has deemed inappropriate for school-age-"

"I think you'll find you're wrong there, Dolores," Dumbledore interrupted.

"Oho!" Fudge cried excitedly. "Yes, do let's hear the latest cock-and-bull story designed to pull Potter out of trouble! Go on, Dumbledore, go on! Was Potter's identical twin in Hog's Head that day? Or is there the usual simple explanation involving a reversal of time, a dead man coming back to life, and a couple of invisible dementors?"

Letting out a hearty laugh, Percy Weasley chortled, "Oh, very good, Minister, very good!"

But despite their blatant mockery, Dumbledore was still smiling.

"Cornelius, I do not deny, and nor, I am sure, does Harry, that he was in Hog's Head that day, nor that he was trying to recruit students to a Defense Against the Dark Arts group. I am merely pointing out that Dolores is quite wrong to suggest that such a group was, at that time, illegal. If you remember, the Ministry decree banning all student societies was not put into effect until two days after Harry's Hogsmeade visit, so he was not breaking any rules in that Hog's Head at all."

"That's very fine, Headmaster," Umbridge replied, recovering the quickest. "But we are now nearly six months on from that introduction of Educational Decree Number Twenty-Four. If the first meeting was not illegal, all those that have happened since most certainly are."

"Well," Dumbledore said. "They certainly would be, if they had continued after the decree come into effect. Do you have any evidence that these meetings continued?"

"Evidence?" Umbridge sputtered. "Have you not been listening, Dumbledore? Why do you think Miss Edgecombe is here?"

"Oh, can she tell us about six months' worth of meetings?" Dumbledore inquired, looking to the girl with a kind expression. "I was under the impression that she was merely reporting a meeting tonight."

"Miss Edgecombe," Umbridge said. "Tell us how long these meetings have been going on, dear. You can simply nod or shake your head. I'm sure that won't make the spots worse. Have they been happening regularly over the last six months?"

Althea held her breath as she waited for what her answer would be. If she told the truth, they were all screwed. It would be over. Umbridge would take the opportunity to expel Althea, snap her wand, and send her to try and fight Voldemort without being able to use magic for another year. Finally, however, the girl shook her head. Althea breathed again.