167. Arguments

"Amara," Sirius said softly, opening the door to their room cautiously.

Amara was sitting in bed reading. At the sight of him, however, she closed her book with a sigh, staring into the bedspread and not looking at him.

As he sat down on the edge of the bed, he said, "Amara, why are you mad at me?"

"I'm not mad," she said softly. "I'm disappointed, Sirius. I know you hate him, and I understand why. I would never ask you to stop hating him, but..."

"But what, Amara?" Sirius asked, taking her hands in his own.

Meeting his eyes, she said, "Sirius, he's still my brother. I'm trying to make things right between us. I want a relationship with him again."

"Why?" Sirius said abruptly. "Amara, he tried to kill you, he's threatened to try again numerous times. Why-"

"I know," Amara whispered. "But Sirius, are you honestly telling me that if Regulus was still alive, you wouldn't try to make things right?"

Sirius was quiet for a moment before he admitted, "I don't know, Amara."

"Just, please...stop picking fights with him," Amara pleaded. "Hate him all you want, but this childishness needs to stop, please."

"Fine," Sirius sighed, kissing her forehead gently. "I'll try."

"Thank you," Amara whispered, cupping his cheek as she gently kissed him.

.

Nervously, Althea knocked on the door to Professor Snape's office, almost cursing herself.

"Come in," his cold voice said.

Opening the door, Althea stepped inside to find Snape sitting at his desk, grading papers.

Not paying her a glance, he asked, "Well, what is it, Miss Black?"

"Oh, well, I was..." she began. Finally, she said in a firmer voice, "Professor, I have a question for you about a potion I came across while I was reading over the break."

"What potion?" Snape asked coldly, still focusing on his papers.

"The Wound-Cleaning Potion, sir," she said meekly.

Snape's quill stilled on the page as he slowly looked up, his black eyes glittering.

"Why?" he asked.

"I want to be a Healer, sir," Althea explained quickly.

After staring at her another moment, Snape asked, "What is your question?"

"Well," Althea explained, opening the book her mother had gotten her on healing spells and potions through the years and showing it to him. "It says here that you're supposed to use salamander blood and wormwood, but don't those two create a chemical reaction that would cause severe stinging when applied? Couldn't you use a dilute of valerian root instead of wormwood to rid the potion of that stinging effect and if so, why don't Healers do that?"

Snape quickly grabbed the book from her, looking over it with his brows furrowed slightly. For the first time in her life, Althea swore she saw Snape look confused.

Handing the book back after a moment, he admitted, "I do not know. It would theoretically work, but as I have never been a Healer, I would not know the specifics."

"Oh, okay," Althea said quietly, shutting her book. "Thank you, Professor."

Snape frowned slightly as she left, but said nothing as he returned to his grading.

.

"Ready?" Ellis asked, glancing over at Lyra as they stood, facing Azkaban.

"As I'll ever be," she replied. "Come on. We need to find everyone the Dark Lord requested."

"Let me go to my brother," Ellis said.

As they approached the great doors to the prison, they opened with a loud, sullen creak. Ellis nodded to the dementors as they passed, travelling up the steps until they came to the highest levels. Ellis began to smile as he approached the cell at the far end. Looking through the bars, he caught sight of a man, terribly thin and pale with dark, matted hair that reached his waist.

"You have not kept up appearances, brother," Ellis remarked with a small tsk.

Rodolphus instantly looked up, his eyes wide.

Scrambling to his feet, he called hoarsely, "Ellis? You- What are you doing here?"

"The Dark Lord has called you home," Ellis said, reaching through the bars and clapping him on the back. "Step back."

Rodolphus quickly did as he was told, allowing Ellis to blast open the bars. Instantly, the brothers embraced, Rodolphus laughing cruelly.

"Where's your wife?" Ellis asked, pulling away.

"Few cells down," Rodolphus replied, gesturing to the right.

Ellis led the way until he found a woman with a thin, pale face and long, curly hair.

"Sister," he said with a smile.

She looked up.

"The Dark Lord?" she said questioningly.

"He awaits your return with the greatest of anticipation," Ellis said. "And with the highest of honours awaiting you."

Bellatrix began to laugh, a high, cold cackle that froze the very bones in Ellis' body. Partially in order to shut her up, he blasted open her cell. Soon, Ellis returned downstairs with three more where he found Lyra waiting with the remaining five.

"Got everyone?" she called.

"Yes," Ellis replied.

Then, they disappeared.