63. Time

June 1994

When Althea awoke, it was to find her head throbbing so badly she thought it was splitting open. She couldn't move, she couldn't breathe, she couldn't speak, but she could hear. Voices were reaching her ears. They seemed impossibly loud.

"Shocking business, shocking," the voice was saying. "Miricle none of them died, never heard the like. By thunder, it was lucky you were there, Snape."

"Thank you, Minister," another voice replied.

Althea suddenly noticed a searing pain in her arm. It hurt so badly she did not dare to move it.

"Order of Merlin, Second Class, I'd say," the first voice resumed. "First Class if I can wangle it!"

"Thank you very much indeed, Minister," the second voice said.

"Nasty cut you got there. Black's work, I suppose?"

"As a matter of fact, it was Potter, Weasley, and Granger, Minister."

"No!"

"Black had bewitched them. I saw it immediately. A Confundus Charm, to judge their behaviour. They seemed to think there was a possibility he was innocent. They weren't responsible for their actions. On the other hand, their interference might have permitted Black to escape...They obviously thought they were going to catch Black single-handed. They've got away with a great deal before now...I'm afraid it's given them a rather high opinion of themselves...and of course Potter has always been allowed an extraordinary amount of license by the headmaster..."

"And, ah, the other girl?" the voice Althea was now sure belonged to Fudge asked. "Was she bewitched as well?"

"Of that, I cannot be sure," Snape admitted. "As her cousin, Black may have already manipulated her into believing him. Either way, she is not at fault. A stupid child, really."

"You said her mother was there," Fudge commented. "What of her?"

"Deceived," Snape said quickly. "She was always close with Amara, you understand. Never thought much for herself."

"Yes, Amara," Fudge said bitterly. "I suppose it just goes to show, doesn't it, how the same methods produce two entirely different people. I'll admit, I'd never have realized the two of you were-"

"We are nothing to each other," Snape said sharply.

"Very well," Fudge conceded. After a pause, he admitted, "Shocking...shocking...a girl so young to produce a Patronus so powerful."

"Regardless of her many other faults, foolishness being chiefly among them as well as a tongue far too sharp for her own good, Black has always been a highly accomplished witch," Snape admitted begrudgingly. "She has consistently been second in my class these last three years."

Althea suddenly felt some kind of paste being applied to her arm. The searing burn intensified for a moment before it was replaced by a pleasant cooling sensation. Footsteps retreated from her. They echoed painfully in her mind.

"Ah, you're awake," the brisk voice of Madam Pomfrey said.

"How are Ron and Thea?" Harry and Hermione asked together.

"They'll both live," Madam Pomfrey said grimly.

Before she could say more, Hermione asked, "What happened to Thea?"

"Concussion as well as a rather nasty cut on her arm," Madam Pomfrey explained. "She'll have it the rest of her life, that. Werewolf cuts never- Potter what are you doing?"

Althea tried to force her eyes open, allowing her to see the hazy ceiling. Looking over, she saw Harry was on his feet.

"I need to see the headmaster," he said firmly.

"Potter, it's all right," Madam Pomfrey said soothingly. "They've got both Black and his wife. They're locked away upstairs. The dementors will be performing the kiss on them both any moment now-"

"WHAT?" Harry shrieked.

Althea blinked as with a startling bang, the doors opened and Fudge appeared with Snape.

.

Sirius awoke with a groan. His body ached.

"Sirius," a startled voice said.

He opened his eyes, looking over to see Amara.

"What happened?" he asked gruffly, rubbing his eyes as he tried to sit up.

"The dementors happened," she said bitterly, brushing a strand of hair out of his face. "Severus, Dumbledore, and Fudge brought everyone back up to the castle."

"I can't decide whether Fudge or Severus is the worst of those," Sirius admitted, sitting up and running a hand through his hair.

It was only then he realized Amara was shaking. Silent tears were streaming down her cheeks.

"What is it?" he asked, terrified of her answer.

"Oh, Sirius," she whispered, letting out a sob. "They're going to...they're going to..."

"No," he breathed, his eyes wide. "Surely...Both of us?"

She nodded, breaking down into sobs as Sirius wrapped his arms around her. She hid in the crook of his neck as she tried to steady her sobs. She tried not to think about what living as a shell would mean. All she knew was that she wouldn't love Sirius anymore. She wouldn't love Harry anymore. Every memory, every moment would become nothing to her. It would no longer even reside in her own mind.

"Sirius," she sobbed, pulling away to face him. "I love you so much."

"I know," he whispered as his own eyes began to water. Sniffling, he cupped her cheeks, pressing his forehead to hers as he whispered, "You are the most beautiful, kind, and amazing woman I have ever known. You are...perfect. No one could ever love me as well as you do, and I could never love someone as I love you. Amara...Amara, Amara, Amara...you are the light of my life. You are my sun and my stars."

"And you are mine," Amara whispered through her sobs. "Oh, God, Sirius."

They embraced tightly as both cried, Amara fighting to keep her breathing steady. She felt like screaming. She felt this wild, dark energy, so visceral and raw it almost scared her rising within her as though she would hold onto Sirius so tightly she would not allow either of them to be taken by the dementors.

Pulling away slightly, Amara kissed him as deeply and passionately as he could ever remember her kissing him. His heart ached. This was all he had ever wanted. He wanted a lifetime with her, not a mere sixteen years...well, really four years. If only he could spend the rest of his life here, in the arms of the woman he loved.

Then, she did the last thing Sirius expected. Jumping to her feet, she slammed her fists against the wall as hard as she could and let out a scream intermingled with a sob. Weakly, she hit it again before collapsing with another agonized wail. Sirius jumped up, catching hold of her before she could fall. She weakly beat against his chest as she sobbed so deeply her chest, throat, and head began to ache. Even her core began to hurt. Her sobs came from deep within.

Sirius held her tightly to him as he felt her shatter in his arms.