73. The Arrival

"I'll be right back," Althea said, leaving the kitchen and retreating up the stairs to Ron's room where she had placed her bag upon her arrival.

When she had reached it and just dug out the late birthday present she had gotten for Harry, she suddenly became aware of a clicking on the window. Looking up, Althea couldn't help smiling as she caught sight of the familiar barn owl. Quickly letting him in, she took the neatly written letter from the creature's leg, giving it an affectionate pet on the head before opening her letter.

Dear Althea,
Sorry it's been so long since my last letter. Grandmother has been pestering me all summer to get ahead for next year's schoolwork. She hasn't really given me a lot of free time. Hopefully, it will help, though, especially with O.W.L.s coming up so soon.
I'm glad you've been having so much fun with Professor Lupin. I wish I could see him. It seems like forever since we had him as our DADA teacher, even though it was only last year. But, regardless, I hope you have fun at the Weasleys. I'll find you on the train on September 1st to hear about it. Enjoy the rest of your summer!
Your friend,
Neville

Althea smiled at the letter, rereading it as footsteps approached. Glancing up, she was unsurprised to see Ron, Hermione, and Harry coming into the room.

"Harry!" she exclaimed, jumping up and embracing him, Neville's letter still clutched tightly in hand. Grabbing his gift, she added, "Happy birthday. Sorry I didn't send it. It hadn't arrived yet and by then it was so close to us coming here, I just figured I needn't bother."

"Thanks, Thea," Harry said with a smile, opening the package to find she had given him a book about the history of racing brooms, including each brand since they were first invented. "I didn't know you were staying here too."

"Oh, I'm not," Althea replied cheerfully. "I'm going back home before you guys have dinner to eat with Mum and Dad."

Harry started, his eyes widening slightly as Hermione and Ron shared surprised looks.

"I mean Remus," Althea said quickly, her eyes wide. Letting out a nervous laugh, she admitted, "I don't know why I just said that."

Fighting back a smile, Harry remarked, "So I take it everything's been going well with him living with you and your mum?"

"It's been really great," Althea said, smiling so widely her friends couldn't help but smile as well. "Sorry, I know I keep talking about it. I'm just so happy."

"Thea, you're fine," Hermione said with a laugh.

"We're happy for you," Harry said.

"Are you all excited for the World Cup?" Althea asked, taking a seat as the other three sat as well.

"Is the sky blue?" Ron replied with a grin.

Althea gave him a playful glare as Hermione let out a cheerful laugh.

"Should we go see if Mrs Wealsey needs help with dinner?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah, all right," Ron replied.

As they all got to their feet, they began making their way down the long set of stairs until they reached the kitchen. Althea quickly grabbed the tablecloths and went out the door, smiling in amusement as she saw Charlie and Bill levitating the tables in the air and fighting each other with them as Ellis watched from the ground, cheering on Bill. Fred and George were cheering loudly as Ginny laughed in amusement.

"Will you keep it down!" Percy shouted, opening his window and bellowing down to his brothers.

"Sorry, Perce," Bill said with a grin. "How're the cauldron bottoms coming on?"

"Very badly," Percy snapped, slamming the window shut.

"So that's the wet blanket, Bill?" Ellis asked with a good-natured smile.

"Yes, indeed," Bill replied.

Lowering the tables back to the ground, Bill and Charlie shared amused looks before Charlie, with a simple flick of his wand, pulled the tablecloths from Althea's arms and settled them over the tables.

When their dinner was ready and Althea saw they were beginning to settle in for food, Althea said, "Well, I should be getting home. I'll see you all later."

Quickly setting aside the dish he had just brought out, Mr Weasley quickly said, "Wait a moment, Thea."

She stopped, looking at him with an expectant expression as the other Weasleys gathered around.

Sharing a smiling expression with his wife, Mr Weasley said, "Thea, we know your mother didn't manage to get tickets to the match tomorrow for you, but I spoke with her this morning and we think we've worked something out." Althea was speechless. "I spoke to a friend at work and he's added one more ticket to our number. I just got the owl. You'll stay the night and come with us tomorrow."

"Really?" Althea gasped, her face alight with excitement. "Truly?"

"Truly," Mr Weasley confirmed.

Letting out an excited cry, she rushed forward, embracing him.

"Thank you so much, Mr Weasley!" she cried.

"No problem at all," he assured. "I've already written to your mother and she's agreed to it all."

It was with a happy heart that Althea sat down to dinner with the Weasleys and her friends.