148. Hiding Dangerous Truths

"Hermione, I need help," Althea said, digging through her drawers.

"What is it?" Hermione asked, returning to the dorm from the bathroom.

"I'm supposed to spend the day with Mum, but if she sees the scars from Umbridge's detention, she will lose her mind," Althea explained. "I don't know how to hide them without it seeming obvious."

"Do you have a long-sleeved shirt?" Hermione asked.

"Not one that would make sense in this weather," Althea replied. "I could wear a sweatshirt, but then what if the sleeves ride up?"

"Here," Hermione said, disappearing again into the bathroom. When she emerged, she was holding a small bottle of concealer. "This should be close enough to your shade."

"I should've thought of that," Althea said. "Thank you."

After changing into shorts and a sweatshirt, Althea quickly covered the cuts in concealer before she turned to Hermione and asked, "How do I look?"

"Like you haven't been getting tortured most of the week," Hermione replied.

"Oh, sod off," Althea retorted as Hermione began to giggle.

"You're all caught up on work, though, right?" Hermione asked.

"Yes, I finished my last essay last night," Althea replied, putting on shoes. "I'll see you later."

"Bye!"

.

Althea knocked gently on the door to her mother's office, her eyes quickly glancing at the back of her hand to see if anything was visible. Before she had been able to look at it for long, however, the door quickly opened and she was pulled inside. Eliana was looking extremely grim.

"What's going on?" Althea asked nervously. "Mum, what are you-"

"Sh," Eliana hissed quickly, glancing nervously at the door. "Here."

She quickly went across the room, feeling for the small latch in the false window that opened into her room. Althea followed her inside. It was a small room, well organized and decorated with light greens. Althea sat down on her mother's bed while Eliana began pacing, chewing on her nail nervously.

"Mum, what's going on?" Althea asked cautiously.

Finally rounding on her, Eliana snapped, "What's going on is that I heard from Madam Pomfrey that Umbridge gave your three detentions after you yelled at her in class."

Althea sighed, rubbing her forehead as she corrected, "Yelling is a bit of an overstatement. I just-"

"Althea," Eliana snapped. "I warned you. I told you she was dangerous! I told you what she is, and instead of carrying yourself with any proper caution, instead, you decide to-"

"I will not deny who my father is!" Althea retorted, rising to her feet. "I will not pretend he's not my father any more. If people decide they don't like him, then that's their loss!"

"No, instead you loudly proclaim it for the world to hear! This isn't that black and white, Althea!" Eliana cried. "This is about your future! How soon do you think it will be that Umbridge starts passing laws that make your life difficult too?"

"Mum, I will do what is right, no matter the personal cost!" Althea countered. Lowering her voice, she said, "I know you're trying to protect me, and I love you for it, but I couldn't live with myself if I did that."

"Why couldn't you just listen to me?" Eliana pleaded, her eyes beginning to water. "It was all nothing more than speculation until you decided to confirm it. I am more than capable of taking the criticism and opinions of the wizarding world, but you didn't need to take any of it, Althea."

"Mum, everyone already knew," Althea whispered, her voice beginning to shake slightly. "This changes nothing, not really."

"Oh, Althea," Eliana whispered, wrapping her arms around her as tears streamed down her cheeks. "I've always tried to protect you, ever since you were a little girl."

"I know," Althea whispered back, sniffling. "And I will always be grateful, but I won't be a little girl forever, Mum. I may still be young, but I'll be legally an adult in a little over a year."

"I know," Eliana said, pulling away as she wiped away her tears. "Just...please, be careful."

"I will," Althea promised.

.

"Amara," Sirius called, rushing up the stairs.

To his absolute not surprise, he found her in the drawing room, which she had quickly transformed into an art studio. It had quickly become where she spent most of her time.

"Hey," she said, looking up from her stool, bits of paint covering her arms and hands as well as her brush and palette.

"Harry wrote," he explained.

Quickly setting aside her brush and palette, she wiped her hands clean as she asked, "What did he say? Is something wrong?"

"Dear Snuffles and Tweetie," Sirius began. Amara snorted at the name Harry had picked for her. "Hope you're both okay, the first week back here's been terrible. I'm really glad it's the weekend. We've got a new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Umbridge. She's nearly as nice as your mum. I'm writing because that thing I told you both about last summer happened again last night when I was doing a detention with Umbridge. We're all missing our biggest friend, we hope he'll be back soon. Please write back quickly. Best, Harry."

"So, the new teacher is as much of a nightmare as we assumed," Amara sighed. "Let's just hope she hasn't found out about Althea."

"Merlin help her if she has," Sirius muttered. "I don't think there's any way to send a coded response back, though."

"No, probably not," Amara admitted. "If you come up with any ideas, let me know."