5. Injured

September 1976

As the Hogwarts students left the train, Sirius, James, Remus, and Peter followed the crowd on their way through the platform and finally to the carriages. When they reached the front of the line, however, there was still plenty of room with them, allowing for the next group to join. As it so happened, both groups of two behind them fit, although admittedly snuggly. Eliana and Amara entered first, sitting by Sirius and James respectively. As she took her seat, however, Amara couldn't restrain herself from rolling her eyes. Giving her a pleading look, Eliana quickly struck up a conversation with Sirius as the next two people entered.

"Hello, Evans," James said instantly, running his hand through his hair as though to make it even messier than before.

"Hide me," Lily muttered, sitting next to Amara who sent her an amused smile as one of Lily's friends, Alice, joined their carriage.

"Only if you'll do the same for me," Amara replied.

Suppressing a smile, Lily asked, "How was your summer?"

"Exhausting," Amara said with a sigh.

"Parents still giving you trouble?" Lily asked sympathetically.

"Something like that," Amara replied bitterly.

"So, Evans, have a good summer?" James asked, leaning over to look past Amara.

Suddenly giving a smug smile, she replied, "Only because I didn't see you."

"Right, well," James began before drifting off, for once his cocky smile beginning to fade. As though grasping for something, James turned to Amara and asked, "And you? Good holiday?"

Without a word, she glared at him, raising an eyebrow as though to say 'Are you seriously talking to me?'

"Let her be, Prongs," Remus said tiredly from the window.

"What? I was just-" he began before exclaiming, "Ow!"

Sirius had kicked him in the shin.

"What was that for?" James asked, rubbing the spot with a wince. When he didn't answer, James turned back to Amara and asked, "Why do you ignore me, anyway?"

"Maybe it has to do with a few particular incidents," Lily muttered snappishly.

"Oh," James said with such sincerity Amara didn't doubt for a moment he hadn't realized before. "But hang on a moment, you don't ignore Sirius."

"Idiot," Amara muttered. Louder, she added, "That's because my best friend happens to be Sirius' cousin."

"Oh," James said again, again completely sincere.

"When are Quidditch tryouts, Prongs?" Remus asked, mostly for the purpose of breaking the tension.

"Not sure yet," he admitted. "Soon. I need to start getting the team in shape before the first match."

"Good luck," Amara scoffed.

"Oh, please," James retorted. "Your only good player is Eliana."

"Potter," Lily snapped. "Do us all a favour and shut up."

The remaining minutes passed in painful silence until the door finally opened and they each stepped out into the open air, breaking off into their separate groups almost instantly.

Watching Amara and Eliana ascend the steps, James asked, "Does Amara really just not like me because of...well...you know..."

"He is her twin brother," Remus pointed out.

"I've never even seen them speak!" James retorted. Remus shrugged, glancing at the moon warily.

And so, with characteristic chaos, order, and friendship, the sixth year of their Hogwarts careers began.

.

August 1993

Whimpering, Amara quickly pulled herself back to lean against the tree with her uninjured arm as pained tears streamed down her cheeks. Breathing heavily, she began to reach for her wand before a sudden noise made her stop short. A sudden banging and scraping sound reached her ears from up the street. As she waited for the source to be revealed, however, she soon heard the figure stop, panting heavily.

Withholding a cry of pain, Amara quickly shifted forms. It was less painful to move around as a bird than a human, but she was much slower as she approached the shadow against the star-strewn sky. As she looked at him, however, she realized with a start that it was Harry. He was looking up and down the street, a panicked look on his face. Dolefully, she let out a small chirp. Looking up, Harry's eyes widened as they rested on her.

"You," he said in surprise. "Why are you down there?" he asked with a frown. "Come up here."

Amara tried to stretch her wings, but she instantly squawked in pain, pulling her wings back together. Frowning, Harry gently took hold of her, avoiding her wings with his hands as he brought her up to stand next to him where he sat on the low wall. Without a word to her, he opened his trunk, digging inside it for a moment before he suddenly straightened, looking across the street curiously. After a moment, he went back to his trunk before suddenly jumping up, pointing his wand in the same direction.

After a moment, he muttered, "Lumos."

Had she been in human form, Amara would have gasped. There, hiding in the alleyway was the huge form of a black dog. She was positive she knew who it was. Moving to step forward, she contemplated how to get down to get to him, but before she could do anything, Harry took a step back, tripping over his trunk and crashing to the ground. At the same moment, a violently purple bus appeared from nowhere with a loud bang. Harry quickly rolled out of the way just before the front wheels stopped exactly where he had been.

Stepping out of the bus, a young man not too much older than Harry himself said, "Welcome to the Knight Bus, emergency transport for the stranded witch or wizard. Just stick out your wand hand, step on board, and we can take you anywhere you want to go. My name is Stan Shunpike, and I will be your conductor this eve-"

Catching sight of Harry, the young conductor broke off as Harry quickly grabbed his wand and got to his feet.

"What were you doin' down there for?" he asked, dropping his professional manner.

"Fell over," Harry said indifferently.

"'Choo fall over for?" Stan asked.

"I didn't do it on purpose," Harry said irritably.

Quickly, he shifted his gaze to look where the dog had been as Amara also looked. Sirius was gone. Amara's heart sank.

"Choo lookin' at?" Stan asked, leaning over the side to follow Harry's gaze.

"There was a big black thing," Harry explained. "Like a dog...but massive..."

After a moment's silence, Harry quickly flattened his hair over his scar as Stan asked, "Woss that on your 'ead?"

"Nothing," Harry said quickly.

"Woss your name?"

"Neville Longbottom," Harry lied.