10. An Overexpendature

September 1976

As Amara climbed the stairs toward Hogwarts, she began to realize just how tired and sore she felt. Her head throbbed, her muscles ached, and her stomach felt unusually empty. She felt out of breath from the mere climb up a few of the stairs. She had just begun to wonder what might be causing her exhaustion when suddenly, she felt her head space out. Then, all was black and silent.

Eliana was the first to see her fall. She had been talking to her, wondering privately to herself if Amara was feeling well when she suddenly fell in an inappropriately graceful faint.

"Amara!" she cried, collapsing by her side as the crowd around them stopped, everyone chattering and shouting to explain to those not close enough to see what happened.

"Someone get some water," James, who had been walking behind them, ordered in a sharp voice before seeing no one was obeying him and rushing off to fetch some himself.

Remus had disappeared the moment she fainted, making his way immediately for Madam Pomfrey. As he was rushing through the hall, Professor McGonagall, alerted to the disturbance by one or two students passing by, stopped him, asking, "What happened?"

"Amara fainted, Professor," he said. "I'm going to Madam Pomfrey."

"Good," McGonagall said. "I'll get the rest of the students into the Great Hall."

Passing by him, she left the castle and descended the steps, ordering in her stern, brisk voice, "Into the Great Hall, everyone! Inside, please!"

After a few more ordered commands, everyone aside from Amara, Eliana, and Sirius were gone. After a few moments of silence, James approached them at a run, a water bottle in hand while Eliana was softly speaking to the only just revived Amara.

"Here," James said, handing her the bottle as he crouched beside her.

Taking a small sip, she began to sit up as McGonagall felt her forehead. James retreated near Sirius so as to be less in the way.

"You don't feel feverish," she remarked fretfully.

"I'm not sick," Amara replied, taking another sip of water before handing it to Sirius who happened to be closest.

As Eliana helped her up, Remus reappeared with Madam Pomfrey.

"What happened?" she asked, approaching Amara with a worried look.

"I just fainted," Amara replied, giving a weary smile. "I'm all right, I promise."

"When was the last time you ate?" Madam Pomfrey demanded.

"This morning," she replied.

"And you didn't eat lunch?" McGonagall asked sternly.

"She slept the whole time on the train," Eliana explained.

"Have you been sleeping and eating regularly this summer?" McGonagall asked.

She said nothing, avoiding her gaze. Finally, she shook her head.

"You need to be eating, Amara," Madam Pomfrey scolded. "You can't expect to just-"

"If I eat then my brother can't," Amara said, her voice barely a whisper.

McGonagall's brows furrowed.

"Our parents don't help us with anything," Amara admitted, her eyes beginning to water. "I spent every moment I could this summer making money to pay for our Hogwarts things, and there wasn't enough money for food for the both of us. So, I just always told him I'd already eaten so he'd eat anyway."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Eliana asked in concern. "I would have helped you."

"I didn't want to be a burden to anyone," Amara whispered.

Without a word, Eliana wrapped her arms around her, hugging her tightly as Amara buried her head in her shoulder and began to sob, holding onto her tightly as though she were her only comfort. Everyone remained respectfully silent until Amara withdrew again, wiping her red eyes and drawing in deep, soothing breaths.

"Miss Amara, allow me to first express my sincerest sympathies," McGonagall said softly, her expression one of the kindest concern. "However, as Miss Black has already expressed, there are many who would have helped you, should you have asked."

"I'm not a charity case," Amara replied as harshly as she could manage, sniffling as she wiped at her wet cheeks.

"Your brother has no idea?" Eliana asked.

Amara shook her head.

"I've already been so worried about him, I just didn't want him to do something stupid," Amara explained. "Really, I'm okay. None of you needs to worry about me. Now that I'm here, I'll get as much sleep and food as I could possibly need."

McGonagall sighed, glancing at Madam Pomfrey.

"After the feast, you are to immediately check in with Madam Pomfrey for a sleeping draft, as you will every night until we are both in the agreement you are well rested enough to not need them anymore," McGonagall stated firmly. "And, should I hear from anyone present that you are not eating at each and every meal, I will sit beside you and ensure you eat myself. Am I understood?"

"Yes, Professor," Amara replied, fighting back a small smile.

"Get inside, all of you," she ordered.

Without a word, the five of them shuffled off into the Great Hall, ignoring the curious looks of the students within. They had missed Dumbledore's speech, not to mention the Sorting, and faced no delay as they sat down at their tables, James, Sirius, and Remus joining Peter at Gryffindor while Eliana and Amara sat at Hufflepuff. Then, they each began to eat.

.

August 1993

Amara woke with a start, her hawk eyes almost instantly adjusting to the darkness around her. She had slept through the rest of the day and into the night, but she preferred it this way. It would be easier now to travel unseen. She had decided to begin her search for Sirius in the forests to the north, hoping against hope that eventually, she would find him.