78. Letters

When Althea woke the morning her mother had departed, it was to find two owls had come in through the open window, both with letters tied to their legs and both sitting so still she had nearly thought they were statues. She recognized both at once. The first was the very same barn owl that she had come to know as Neville's family owl. The second was the Weasleys' very old, very unreliable owl. Taking the letters from both, Althea opened the letter from the Weasleys first only to find it was, in fact, from Harry.

Dear Thea,
There's something I meant to tell you but I never got a chance. I was trying to avoid telling Ron and Hermione because I knew that they would panic. They did panic, actually, when I told them this morning, but I want to know what you think. Saturday morning, I woke up with my scar hurting again. I know that used to only happen when he was near me, but I don't think that's what was happening because I had had a dream about him.
I don't remember it very well now, but he was with Wormtail and he was plotting to kill someone. Well, don't tell Ron and Hermione this, they would just freak out, but they were plotting to kill me, Thea.
It just seems to odd that I have that dream, wake up with my scar hurting, and then three days later Death Eaters attack everyone and the Dark Mark appears. Please, tell me what you think. Ron and Hermione nearly fainted with worry when I told them. And besides, I don't remember if I ever told you about Trelawney's prophecy. She went all rigid and said something about how Voldemort's servant would break his chains and that he would rejoin his master and help him come back to power greater and more terrible than ever before.
I wrote to Amara and Sirius, but they haven't answered yet. I don't know what to do, Thea. Please write back soon.
Your friend,
Harry

Althea set aside the letter, deciding to reread it after she had read Neville's as she was almost positive his was a letter inquiring as to her safety after the World Cup. After having read and answered Neville's letter, Althea picked back up Harry's, frowning as she read it back over.

.

"Sirius," Amara said sharply, brushing aside her wet hair as she looked up from the small scroll in her hands.

They had moved on from their tiny Greek island to another one in Italy. While Amara had been swimming, Hedwig, Harry's owl, had sought her out, bringing with her the small scroll. After quickly slipping her oversized linen button-up over her suit, she had begun reading the letter as she walked back to the small cottage they had rented.

"What is it?" he asked, looking up from the book he was reading.

"It's Harry," Amara said. "Sirius, it's not good."

Handing over the letter, she sat down beside him as he read it, his brows furrowed.

Dear Sirius and Amara,
Thanks for your last letter. That bird was enormous; it could hardly get through my window.
Things are the same as usual here. Dudley's diet isn't going too well. My aunt found him smuggling doughnuts into his room yesterday. They told him they'd have to cut his pocket money if he keeps doing it, so he got really angry and chucked his PlayStation out of the window. That's a sort of computer you can play games on. Bit stupid really, now he hasn't even got Mega-Mutilation Part Three to take his mind off things.

Looking up, Sirius asked, "Ami, what's so-"

"Keep reading," she said tensely.

I'm okay, mainly because the Dursleys are terrified the two of you might turn up and turn them all into bats if I asked you to.
A weird thing happened this morning, though. My scar hurt again. Last time that happened, it was because Voldemort was at Hogwarts. But I don't reckon he can be anywhere near me now, can he? Do either of you know if curse scars sometimes hurt years afterward?
I'll send this with Hedwig when she gets back; she's off hunting at the moment. Say hello to Buckbeak for me.
Harry

Sirius looked up, meeting Amara's anxious expression with one of his own.

"What do you think?" he asked.

"I think he is severely underreacting," Amara admitted. "This has to mean something."

"I agree," Sirius said, glancing back at the letter. Letting out a sigh, he admitted, "I think we have to go back, Amara."

"Unfortunately, I think you're right," Amara sighed. "If Voldemort's on the move again, if he's going to come back, we need to be there when he does."

"I'm sorry our vacation is over," Sirius said.

Letting out a small laugh, Amara gently kissed him, wrapping both arms around him.

"Sirius, this summer has been amazing," Amara replied, "but our godson is far more important than having fun."

Smiling, Sirius said, "I love you, Ami."

"I know," she whispered. "I love you too."