144. Scarred

Althea had just finished her essay on giant wars and was just beginning her research for Snape's moonstone essay when she saw Professor McGonagall approaching her table.

"Professor," she said courteously, flipping to the next page and continuing to take notes as Neville returned with a new stack of books.

"I found these, but-" he began before catching sight of Professor McGonagall.

"Professor Dumbledore would like to see you, Miss Black," McGonagall explained.

"Can you bring all those back to the Common Room, Neville?" Althea asked, packing up her bag. "I'll be back as soon as I can." When they had left the library, Althea asked, "Professor, what would it take to legally change my name on the Hogwarts records?"

Raising an eyebrow in confusion, McGonagall asked, "And why would you want to do a thing like that?"

"Just my last name," she explained. "I'd like my name to be Althea Black-Lupin."

McGonagall said nothing for a moment, but Althea thought for a moment she saw her expression soften. When they had reached Dumbledore's office, she led her up and into the room to find Dumbledore standing, staring out the window.

"You may go, Professor McGonagall," Dumbledore said, not looking up. Once she had gone, Dumbledore turned to look at Althea with a small smile as he remarked, "I heard you caused Professor Umbridge a great deal of distress today."

"So what if I did?" Althea replied moodily, sitting down in one of the chairs in front of his desk.

"You are aware that it is Professor Umbridge's efforts that are largely to blame for the difficulty your father faces in seeking work?" Dumbledore said.

"Yes," Althea replied.

"And you are aware that the child of a werewolf is not something the magical world knows much about and that knowledge of your father would lead many to assume you are a werewolf yourself?" Dumbledore asked.

"Yes," Althea said again, her voice soft, but so resolute Dumbledore knew there was little point continuing in this manner much longer.

"So...instead of exercising caution in regards to who you allowed to know of your father's identity, including a woman who you know to be highly prejudiced against werewolves, you offered up that information of your own accord."

"Yes," Althea said. "And I would do it again, Professor. I won't let her frighten me into hiding one of the most important people in my life. I won't deny him."

"Nor should you," Dumbledore said, coming to sit across from her behind his desk. He watched her for a moment before he said, "You are far stronger and braver than I ever was, Thea. I do not think I would have had the courage to do what you did today. That being said, I must caution you against any further outbursts. Umbridge is a cunning woman, foolish though she may be. An outburst from you will only prove her presumptions about you and your father correct. Don't let her be right."

"Professor," Althea said suddenly. "My mum doesn't know what happened, does she?"

"As far as I am aware, no she does not," Dumbledore replied, his brows furrowed.

"Please don't tell her," Althea said. "I don't want to worry her."

"Very well then," Dumbledore agreed. "So long as this does not go farther, then I will not say a word."

"Thank you," Althea said softly.

.

When she returned to the Common Room, she found Neville was the only person still awake, although he seemed dangerously close to drifting off.

"Neville," she said softly, coming to sit beside him.

Jerking awake, he rubbed his eyes as he said, "Althea, hey. What did Dumbledore want?"

"Nothing important," she replied. "You should go get some sleep, Neville, you can do the rest of this tomorrow."

"No, I'm fine," he said, stifling another yawn. "I marked the paragraphs that talk about moonstone for you. I just need to write my conclusion and then I'm done."

"Thank you," Althea said, beginning to take notes as she set back to work.

When she finished an hour later, she glanced over to see that Neville had fallen asleep halfway through writing a sentence in his dream journal for Trelawney. Gently nudging him awake, she convinced him to go to bed. Once he'd gone to his dorm, Althea finished her own dream journal before making her way to her own dorm. Glancing at the clock, she saw it was almost one in the morning.