112. How to Survive Pain

By the time Harry had finished telling them everything, tears were freely flowing down Amara's cheeks. Sniffling, she wrapped her arms around him. Harry did not have the strength to return the embrace. Pulling away, Amara, wiping away her tears, looked up at Harry with a watery smile.

"Harry, you are the bravest person I've ever met," she said softly, trying to blink away the tears that continued to fall. "I know it doesn't feel like it now, but you will survive this. You are strong. You beat Voldemort, Harry. You beat the person we never could. You did well, Harry. I'm so proud of you."

Harry finally looked at her, allowing her to see the pain behind his eyes.

"Harry, a very wise woman once told me something I'll never forget," Amara said softly. "Face tomorrow when tomorrow comes. You don't survive pain by magically getting over it. You survive by facing each day and getting through to the other side."

Harry couldn't process or understand what she was saying then, but those words stuck with him later. They were about the only thing he remembered of the night afterwards.

"Harry," Dumbledore said, coming around his desk to face him. "I'm going to take you to the Hospital Wing now. I do not want you returning to the dormitory tonight. A Sleeping Potion and some peace...Sirius, Amara, would you like to stay with him?"

"Yes," Amara said as Sirius nodded.

The next moment, a dog and bird were standing where Sirius and Amara had been. They followed them down to the Hospital Wing, sharing worried glances every few minutes. When Dumbledore pushed open the doors to the Hospital Wing, they were met with the faces of several people they did not know.

Mrs Weasley, Bill, Ron, Hermione, and Althea were all gathered around Eliana and Madam Pomfrey.

"Where is he?" Althea demanded worriedly.

"Harry! Oh, Harry!" Mrs Weasley exclaimed, catching sight of them and beginning to rush to Harry.

Stepping between them, Dumbledore said, "Molly, please listen to me for a moment. Harry has been through a terrible ordeal tonight. He had just had to relive it for me. What he needs now is sleep, and peace, and quiet. If he would like you all to stay with him, you may do so. But I do not want you questioning him until he is ready to answer, and certainly not this evening."

Staring at the animal forms of Sirius and Amara in confusion, Madam Pomfrey said, "Headmaster, may I ask what-"

"This dog and bird will be remaining with Harry for a while," Dumbledore explained. "I assure you, they are very well trained. Harry - I will wait while you get into bed. I will be back to see you as soon as I have met with Fudge, Harry. I would like you to remain here tomorrow until I have spoken to the school."

When Harry had finally gotten into bed and Sirius settled beside his head, Amara on the frame above him, his friends sat down. Bill sat closest to his feet, Mrs Weasley beside him. Hermione, Ron, and Althea sat closer to his head. Hermione and Ron, he noticed, were giving him looks, looks that rather gave him the impression they were terrified of him or something. Bill wasn't looking at him while Mrs Weasley looked like she was going to burst into tears. Althea was the calmest of them. Although she was quiet and didn't seem entirely sure how to act, she wasn't scared, didn't seem on the brink of tears, and wasn't avoiding him.

It almost made him laugh to see Althea looking so calm.

"Sleep, Harry," Eliana said gently, handing him a potion in a goblet. "You won't have any dreams with this."

Without hesitation, Harry did as he was told. Althea quickly grabbed the goblet from him as he drifted off. Setting it aside, she allowed her brave face to crack. She had learned quickly in her friendship with Harry he valued her being calm. While it wasn't all forced,  in the major moments, like this one, every ounce of calm was completely unreal. Before she could control it, a small sob left her lips.

Sympathetically, Sirius raised his paw, placing it on her hand. She smiled through her tears, looking at him mournfully before she slipped from her chair, wrapping her arms around him. Sirius wished he could reveal himself, to speak to his goddaughter, but he knew he couldn't. If he could, he would tell her Harry was strong and he would be okay. He would tell her everything may seem terrible now, but it would all be okay. As it was, he allowed her to embrace him, sobbing into his fur.