135. Schooltime Grind

"Althea," Eliana called softly, stepping into Buckbeak's room and looking around curiously.

Althea looked up from her book in surprise.

"Hey, Mum," she replied, marking her place.

"Sirius said you might be in here," Eliana sighed, sitting down beside her. "I've got to leave tomorrow for Hogwarts, but I've given Remus enough money to cover your Hogwarts things for the year. You two can go get everything when the letters come."

"Okay," Althea said softly.

Frowning, Eliana asked, "What's wrong?"

Althea said nothing for a moment before she finally landed on the only thing she knew her mother wouldn't question and dig deeper into, "I just miss Neville."

Smiling sympathetically, Eliana said, "You'll see him soon."

"Yeah, I know," Althea said.

Eliana gently kissed her forehead before getting back up and leaving the room. Althea sighed, leaning her head back against the wall and staring at the ceiling disinterestedly.

.

Eliana had just finished packing up the last of her stuff when a soft knock sounded on the door behind her. Turning, she couldn't help but smile as she caught sight of Remus.

"Got everything?" he asked, stepping inside.

"I think so," she replied cheerfully. "Everything I brought with me here, anyway."

Remus smiled softly, sitting down on the edge of her bed as she piled all her things together before sitting beside him, resting both hands on his shoulder and her chin on her hands.

"Don't forget me while I'm gone," Eliana said with a small smile.

"Impossible," Remus replied, turning his head to press his lips to hers.

Eliana smiled as he pulled away.

"I'll come and see you when I can," she whispered. "And I'll write to you."

"I'll await each owl with bated breath," Remus said so quietly his voice was barely a breath.

Moving closer to him, Eliana kissed him, tangling her hands in his hair.

.

Althea was just stepping into her room the day before term when she saw Ginny opening a thick envelope.

Looking up, she explained, "Hogwarts letters are here. Yours is on your bed."

"Thank you, Ginny," Althea replied, setting aside her book as she picked up the envelope.

Getting out a quill, she marked the books she did not have and made a list of other equipment and supplies necessary before making her way to find her father.

Just as she got out onto the landing, however, Hermione rushed up to her, exclaiming, "Thea, guess what?"

"What is it?" Althea asked, smiling at the excitement on her face.

"I've been made prefect! So has Ron!" she cried.

"Congratulations!" Althea exclaimed, wrapping her arms around her with a smile. "I'll go congratulate Ron."

Slipping into the boy's room, she was unsurprised to find Fred and George harassing Ron about his new position.

Just as she entered, George said in an awed voice, "No way."

"There's been a mistake," Fred agreed, taking Ron's letter and holding it up to the light as though to check for forgery. "No one in their right mind would make Ron a prefect."

"Don't be silly," Althea said, giving them an amused look. "Congratulations, Ron."

"Thanks, Thea," Ron replied with a shy smile.

.

"Dad?" Althea said, stepping down into the kitchen to find Remus sitting at the table talking in quiet voices to Sirius and Amara.

Instantly, they all stopped speaking.

"Oh, sorry," she said quickly, suddenly becoming rather meek. Awkwardly, she sat down beside her father and said, "Dad, the school letters came. Mum said we could go together to get everything?"

"Oh, don't worry, dear," Molly said, coming down the stairs with several letters in hand. "Just give me the money and your list and I'll get everything for you."

"Oh, well I-" Althea began, but in her nervousness, her voice quieted to nearly nothing.

Either ignoring her or not hearing, Molly took her letter from her hand, looking over the things she circled.

Feeling defeated, Althea silently slipped from the room, feeling thoroughly miserable. When Molly had finally left, Amara, whose brows were furrowed, asked, "Is everything okay with Althea, Remus? She seems...I don't know..."

"I'm not sure," Remus sighed, running a hand through his hair wearily. "She's been acting strange for a while, but every time I ask her about it she doesn't give me any answer. She says she's fine."

"That's because she thinks it's stupid," Sirius explained quietly.

"What do you mean?" Amara asked with a frown.

Glancing over at her, he said, "I talked to her a few weeks ago. She just feels ignored, like no one hears her or cares whether or not she's there. I'm sure once she's at Hogwarts it'll get better."

"All I ever got out of her was that she misses Neville," Remus said in surprise. "She never told me any of that."

"Well, we were commiserating," Sirius explained.

"Just give her time, Remus," Amara said gently. "If Sirius is right, she's feeling insecure and lonely. Part of that will fix itself when she goes to school, but sometimes, there are things people go through that they have to deal with on their own. You can't fix her problems for her."

"Would that I could," Remus sighed.