93. The Eye of the Dragon

It was dark with barely any moonlight to illuminate the world around as Lyra went for a walk around the grounds. She had begun doing this more and more despite the cold temperatures. Over her dress of cascading green silk, she wore a coat of white fur that fell almost to her feet. It was so bright her hair barely stuck out from it where it hung at her back. She had styled her hair with a braid running from one ear to the other, leaving the rest of her hair in a curly waterfall to her waist.

She knew the First Task would begin in only a few hours, but that did nothing to ease her agitation. In fact, the thought that Fleur could soon meet her death bothered her so greatly she had been completely unable to sleep all night. She walked as far as the lake before she sank down to sit on a rock she'd found near the edge, wrapping her arms around her knees. She still hadn't moved by the time the sun rose, sending waves of light across the grounds she had wandered through all night.

She still didn't move even when she felt the pangs of hunger reach her.

"Professor Lyra?" a familiar voice said.

Lyra looked up, unsurprised to see Fleur.

"Yes, Fleur?" Lyra replied in French.

"I'm worried," she admitted, sitting down beside her.

"Me too," Lyra admitted softly, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "But you know what?"

Fleur looked up at her.

"It's okay to be afraid," Lyra said with a small smile. "Bravery is nothing without fear. These tasks are meant to test your bravery, are they not?"

"Yes," Fleur agreed. "Will you be there?"

"Yes, of course," Lyra promised. Getting up, she said, "Come, you need to get ready for the task."

.

"You have everything?" Madam Pomfrey asked anxiously, moving around the medical tent as she looked over everything.

"I believe so," Eliana replied. "We have enough burn paste to treat the entire school."

"Good," Madam Pomfrey said, wiping the sweat from her brow. "Oh, mercy," she exclaimed as a roar reached their ears. "They've started."

There was a long, tense silence in the medical tent before a thunderous cheer sounded. Eliana and Madam Pomfrey shared looks before the tent flapped open. Cedric Diggory entered, wincing as he tried to pull his shirt off the edges of a burn on his arm.

"Have him out in a few minutes to receive his score," Professor McGonagall said quickly before disappearing again.

"Here, sit," Eliana said quickly, gesturing to one of the beds as Madam Pomfrey got some burn paste.

They had only just enough time to get the first layer of paste on before Professor McGonagall reappeared, gesturing for Cedric to come. Sharing exasperated looks, Eliana and Madam Pomfrey waited impatiently until Cedric returned.

"I'm going to watch and see who else needs help," Madam Pomfrey said. "Take care of him."

Eliana nodded as she began applying the paste. Cedric winced as the paste briefly caused the burning to flare before it was replaced with a pleasant cooling effect.

"How bad is it?" Cedric asked, attempting to twist his arm to look.

"I've seen worse," Eliana admitted. "But, I'd advise you don't make a habit of getting burns like this."

Cedric laughed but did not reply. A deafening cheer had risen up again. Eliana looked up as Madam Pomfrey appeared and explained, "Second one through. No damage."

After adding one more layer of paste, Eliana took out a roll of gauze and began wrapping the arm.

Once she had finished, she said, "Don't remove this for at least twenty-four hours. Come and see either Madam Pomfrey or myself once you remove it."

"Thank you, Madam Black," Cedric said kindly.

"Now, can I get you anything? Water? Something to eat?" Eliana asked.

"I'm okay, but thank you," Cedric replied.

Giving him a kind smile, Eliana returned to their table of supplies, nervously straightening a few bottles and vials.

"Third one through, just Potter left," Madam Pomfrey said, quickly poking her head in.

.

"Harry!" Althea cried, rushing into the medical tent and instantly embracing him, letting out a relieved breath. "You're okay, you're okay."

"I'm fine, Thea," Harry said with a small laugh.

"Sit, sit," Madam Pomfrey ordered, ignoring Althea, Hermione, and Ron.

Once she had finished, Harry turned his attention to the one person in the tent he had not expected to see.

"Harry," Ron said, his face as pale as a ghost. "Whoever put your name in that goblet - I - I reckon they're trying to do you in!"

"Caught on, have you?" Harry replied coldly. "Took you long enough."

There was a rather tense silence as Hermione and Althea glanced hesitantly between Harry and Ron. Ron was speechless. Finally, however, he began to speak.

"It's okay," Harry said suddenly, his tone softened. "Forget it."

"No," Ron said quickly. "I shouldn't've-"

"Forget it," Harry said firmly.

Hermione looked between Harry and Ron, taking in their nervous smiles before she suddenly burst into tears.

Very bewildered, Harry exclaimed, "There's nothing to cry about!"

"You two are so stupid!" she exclaimed, stamping her foot on the ground before embracing them both and storming away.

Ron, Harry, and Althea were silent for a moment, each attempting to hold back amused smiles. Then, they met eyes. Instantly, all three burst into laughter.