3. Behind the Silence

"I've told you," Eliana snapped, rounding on Kingsley Shacklebolt as he followed her through the Hogwarts halls as she magically levitated her things in front of her. "I haven't seen Sirius or Amara. Now, if you'll have some decency. I have a job to prepare for."

"You've been at this post how long, Miss Black?" he inquired.

With a harsh sigh, she snapped, "Ten years."

"Amara was a dear friend of yours, was she not?" Kingsley asked.

"I haven't spoken to Amara in eleven years," Eliana retorted. "I don't know where she is or what she's doing."

"Were you close with Sirius before his arrest?" Kingsley asked.

Glaring at him, Eliana said coldly, "If you think I broke my cousin out of prison arrest me. Otherwise, leave me alone."

With an irritated huff, Kingsley turned and left, leaving Eliana to make her way through the school to her office, just beyond the Hospital Wing. Setting her trunk beside her bed, she fell onto the edge of it, burying her head in her hands, her mind flooded with memories.

.

Sirius was standing, breathless in the Shrieking Shack, shocked at his luck in finding it was still as presumably haunted and unbothered as it had always been. He had no wand, no means of making it any more comfortable, but even so, he was unbothered by this as he lay down on the bed in the upstairs room of the Shack, pulling toward him the small bundle of food he had managed to steal on his way.

As he did so, he absentmindedly fiddled with his wedding ring, a solid silver band around his ring finger that, despite the shabbiness of the rest of his appearance, still gleamed in the subtle moonlight.

.

September 1976

The journey to King's Cross Station was, as usual, far more expensive than Amara had hoped and far more chaotic than she had dreamed. They arrived only just in time to board before the train began its departure. The moment they boarded, Amara's twin brother, without a word, disappeared down the line of compartments to find the slimy, bullying gits he had begun hanging out with in the fourth year. Amara watched him go, her eyes heavy with fatigue and her heart worn with anxiety.

Deciding, however, that standing about was the absolute least helpful thing she could do, Amara picked up her trunk and began the rather arduous work of transporting the thing down the train in search of Eliana. Before she had gotten far, however, she suddenly felt the weight alleviated. Turning, she was surprised to see the long-familiar careless black hair and striking grey eyes of Sirius Black.

"Thank you," she said, surprised as she heard the sheer breathlessness in her voice.

"Haven't seen Eliana yet, have you?" he asked curiously, carrying her trunk with ease as they crossed the train.

"If I had, do you think I'd be here, carrying my trunk and searching for a compartment?" Amara replied, raising an eyebrow at him questioningly.

Glancing at her warily, he replied, "How should I know? I just need to talk to her a moment."

"Hm," Amara replied disinterestedly.

She was little fond of Sirius. She tolerated him for Eliana's sake, but in truth, if she had her choice, friend's feelings be damned, she would avoid him as passionately as she avoided James Potter. Privately, she blamed them both for her brother's recent fascination with the Dark Arts. He tried to hide it, but it was clear enough to her that between the incessant bullying and the open arms of Lucius, there was no fight he could have won. Truthfully, this new version of her brother terrified her. Were he to study the Dark Arts, devoid of a Dark Lord killing and torturing every five seconds, she might be less concerned, but now...

She stopped her thoughts. Amara felt she was going to be sick again.

Finally spotting Eliana sitting alone in a compartment, Sirius opened the door and quickly put Amara's trunk in the top rack before he asked, "Ellie, can I talk to you for a second? It's important."

"Sure," she replied in confusion as Amara took her seat, withdrawing a book from the pocket of her jacket as she settled by the window to read.

Eliana Black always gave one the striking impression of being the embodied autumn day. Her hair was a rich auburn and her eyes shone a striking emerald green. She was tan, but not so tan to be much noticeable.

Stepping into the corridor, Sirius closed the door, glancing in quickly before looking both ways as though worried someone would overhear him.

"Sirius, what's going on?" Eliana asked in concern, crossing her arms over her chest with furrowed brows.

"I was just wondering something," he said, although the sudden nervousness in his tone convinced Eliana there was more to this particular story. "If I...well...look, I'm considering...I'm considering leaving home."

Raising her eyebrows, Eliana said, "Wow. Where would you go?"

"Probably to James," Sirius admitted. "But, I just wanted to let you know, you know, in case my mum blasts me off the tree. You and Uncle Alphard might want to-"

"Sirius, we don't care about the damn tree," Eliana said with a laugh. "I appreciate your concern, but neither of us could care less whether or not we're disowned. It's fine."

"Good, because I really don't want to lose you," Sirius replied with a relieved breath. Glancing back into the compartment, he asked, "What's up with her?"

Shifting her gaze to her best friend, Eliana was unsurprised to see that she was fast asleep, her book laying forgotten on her lap.

With a small sigh, she admitted, "Amara's been working three jobs this summer. She hasn't gotten a full night's sleep since we left Hogwarts."

"What?" Sirius exclaimed, his eyes widening in shock. "Why?"

"Doesn't matter," Eliana muttered. "Look, Sirius, if leaving home will make things better for you, then I think you should. There's nothing to stop you. The Potters will treat you as well as James, and honestly, I think you'll lose your mind with much more time in that place. Just do it."

"Gladly," Sirius replied with his signature cocky grin. Glancing back in the compartment, he added, "I need to track James down. I'll see you around, Ellie."

"Bye," she replied cheerfully, sliding open the door and returning to her seat.