14. New Beginnings

September 1976

As usual, Amara woke long before Eliana on the first day of classes and quickly got dressed, changing into her robes. Once she had packed her school bag and stowed her wand in her robes, she quickly stopped in the kitchen for some food before beginning the long walk up the winding stairs of the Astronomy Tower. She had been coming to this spot for years, but she never expected anyone else to be there. To her surprise, she found she wasn't alone. Leaning against the rail and staring out over the Hogwarts grounds was James Potter. At the sound of her approach, he turned, glancing back curiously.

"Morning," she said in surprise, setting aside her bag and leaning against the rail next to him as she began to pick at her food.

"Shouldn't you be making up lost sleep?" he asked offhandedly, shifting his gaze back to the grounds.

"Shouldn't you be sleeping in way too late until you only have just enough time to grab food before heading to class?" Amara shot back.

James said nothing, clearly deep in his thoughts.

After a pause, he began, "Amara, do you think...Is it possible that...Well..."

Amara sighed, glancing over at him briefly before she remarked, "I may not like you much, James, but you were right the other day. Eliana's feelings aside, it's not fair that I ignore you and not Sirius. If you want to ask my opinion on something, just ask it."

James sighed, shifting his gaze to the ground below them, his expression far more real and pained than she had ever seen it before.

Finally turning to look at her, he asked, "Do you think there's any chance Lily will ever give me a second glance? I mean...she's been rejecting me for years. I try to ignore how much it hurts every time, but..."

"Maybe," Amara replied with a shrug. "What reasons has she given for not liking you? Other than bullying one of her only friends from childhood and being a pompous prat, I mean."

James glared at her, but at seeing the small smile tugging at the corners of her lips, he let out a small laugh and admitted in a weak-sounding voice, "That about covers it."

"Well, to be frank, Potter, you could stop picking on everyone around you, for starters," Amara replied, holding out her bundle of food for him to take from what he wished. As he began munching on a piece of toast, she added, "Also, you've got to start leaving my brother alone, and stop running your hand through your hair to try and look like you've just gotten off a broom."

"I don't do that anymore," he protested, quickly lowering his hand from his hair.

"Right," Amara replied, taking a bite out of the piece of sausage. "Only other thing I can think of is maybe apply yourself some more. Spend more time studying and working on schoolwork, but most of all, just stop trying to impress her. All you end up doing is annoying her and providing everyone else with free entertainment."

"You'd like that, wouldn't you? Me spending more time studying?" James replied, giving her a suspicious look. "You think if you can get me in the library more you've got more of a chance at the Quidditch Cup, don't you?"

"Maybe," Amara replied innocently. Tucking her empty napkin of food in her pocket, she added, "But seriously, James, just deflate your head a bit and Lily will start to see...whatever your real personality is. Then, based on whatever that is, she can decide to date you or not. Oh, also stop asking her out. It's weird and frankly, can easily be scary to continually be asked out and pursued by a guy who doesn't take no for an answer."

"Duly noted," James replied humbly. "But why do I get the feeling this potentially life-altering advice comes with some kind of cost?"

"Because it does," Amara replied, giving him a look he had never received from her. It was a pleading, desperate look. Frowning, he stared at her, wondering what on earth he could have that she could possibly want.

.

September 1993

Eliana could not help but smile as she took her seat at the staff table, her scarlet robes matching perfectly with her red lip. Her smile dropped slightly, however, as she caught sight of the man taking his seat beside her. Shyly, he was staring at the plates and had not even noticed her. Before she could decide whether or not to speak to him, Dumbledore rose to his feet, facing the students with his usual kind, gracious smile.

"Welcome!" he called, instantly silencing the students. "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast...As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business. They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds, and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises - or even Invisibility Cloaks. It is not in the nature of a dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I, therefore, warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the prefects and our new Head Boy and Girl to make sure that no student runs afoul of the dementors."

After letting this rest another moment, he added, "On a happier note, I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year. First, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

There was scattered, unenthusiastic applause from the students, but Eliana could not help but smile as she saw Harry, Ron, Hermione, Neville, and Althea clapping heartily.

"As to our second new appointment," Dumbledore resumed. "Well, I am sorry to tell you that Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs. However, I am delighted to say that his place will be filled by none other than Rubeus Hagrid, who has agreed to take on this teaching job in addition to his gamekeeping duties."

The applause this time was so loud it was several minutes before it was quiet enough to allow Dumbledore to begin speaking again.

"Well, I think that is everything of importance," he said, smiling at the students below him. "Let the feast begin!"