29. Match of the Century

Amara waited for the rest of the team in her office, trying to settle her nerves. Now that she was beginning to calm down, she realized she had been wrong, horribly, horribly wrong to snap at Sirius. Regardless of the truth of his statement, he didn't deserve to be yelled at for just trying to be there for her. And anyway, she knew now that he was right. Guilt had been building in her chest the more she sat still. Irritably, she got up, determined to find Sirius before the match, to apologize and make things right, but the moment she left her office, she was instantly swarmed with her team, coming in to ask last-minute questions and tips for the match.

In the end, she led her team onto the pitch, never having apologized to Sirius. As she approached James and his team in the middle of the pitch, she tried to catch his eye, but his gaze was resolutely fixed on the ground.

"Captains, shake hands," Madam Hooch ordered.

James and Amara did, shaking each other's hands with friendly courtesy.

"Mount your brooms!" Madam Hooch called. All fourteen of them did. "On my whistle."

The moment the shrill note sounded, Amara was in the air, soaring high into the air, leaving her worries about Sirius far behind her.

In the commentary box, a student Amara didn't know, they had yet to have a consistent commentator, began by informing the crowd that Eliana had instantly taken possession of the Quaffle. Amara hardly listened as she moved in wide circles around the pitch, James' new seeker, a third year, doing the same a few feet above her.

Eliana had moved down the pitch, passing the ball flawlessly to her teammates until they reached the Gryffindor keeper. The ball had passed back into Eliana's hands by then, and she quickly made the shot.

"And she scores!" rang around the pitch.

James took the Quaffle next, beginning his journey to the other side of the pitch. The points moved consistently up and up on each side. Each time Hufflepuff scored, Gryffindor was sure to score quickly after and vice versa. About an hour into the match, they were up 240-230, but Amara was unsurprised when, a moment later, Gryffindor evened out the score.

She huffed, wishing she saw the snitch anywhere. If she caught it now, the match could be over and Hufflepuff would be granted a sizable advantage in house points. But even so, no sheen of gold glittered anywhere.

Another hour passed. The scoring had decreased in frequency, allowing for the score to settle at 350-330 to Gryffindor. Amara couldn't take it any longer. Signallying to Madam Hooch, she called for a time out.

Landing by her team, she instantly insisted they all get water. It was the longest match any of them had played and the longest they had ever had to play as a practice was never more than two hours.

"All right, listen," she said as everyone drank. "I'm going to try and catch the snitch as soon as possible, but we can't start getting sloppy. I know you all are exhausted, but we've got to keep up until the snitch is caught."

Everyone nodded and soon they were back up in the air. The moment Amara began circling again, James took possession of the Quaffle and began streaking in that direction. However, as he began to move, Amara suddenly noticed something. On the opposite side of the field, hovering just above the ground, was a small, golden ball. Glancing over at the other seeker, she noticed that the third year, obviously bored with the lack of action for him, was lazily watching James. Everyone else, including the beaters, were trying to hit the other team's chasers.

Her heart pounding in her chest, Amara moved so she was perfectly poised for a dive and then, just before James reached the goal, she dropped. The wind whipped around her, causing her robes to snap as her braided hair flew behind her. She increased in speed, unrelenting as Gryffindor's seeker tried to follow, but he was too far behind. She was diving faster and faster and faster until the moment before it was too late. Three feet before the ground, she pulled out, just managing to catch the snitch before she had to pull up farther to avoid the stands.

Rising in a perfect loop, she raised the snitch into the air, causing the stands to erupt in cheers as the commenter announced Hufflepuff's victory over Gryffindor. Amara quickly landed, quickly begin greeted first by Eliana before the rest of the team appeared, each embracing her with a cheer.

.

Amara was still smiling happily when she finished changing and left the changing room. Her smile fell, however, as she saw James and Sirius crossing the field to head back to school. The sun was beginning to fall, but even so, Amara knew there was something she needed to do.

Approaching them, she said in a quiet voice, "Sirius? Can I...er, can I talk to you a second?"

He looked up in surprise, studying her expression for a moment before he nodded.

"I'll meet you in the Common Room," James said. Turning to Amara, he added shortly, "Good game."

Normally, Amara would have shot back something about sounding disingenuous, but right now, she couldn't care less about his tone. Once he was out of earshot, Amara met Sirius' curious gaze, opening her mouth to speak only to find her words lost in her throat.

Clearing it, she finally said, "Look, S-Sirius, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for snapping at you this morning. You...You so didn't deserve it, and I so didn't mean it. I just...But I won't i-insult you with excuses. I...I'm just sorry. I completely overreacted and I'm so sorry if I hurt your feelings or-"

"Amara," Sirius interrupted, restraining a laugh as he caught one of her hands in his own. "It's okay. I forgive you."

Amara's cheeks flushed in embarrassment as she glanced up at him. The sun had set by then, bathing them in the bright light of the moon.

Noticing her flushed cheeks, Sirius suddenly said, "I've discovered your secret."

"And what is that?" Amara replied, letting out a light laugh that sounded suspiciously like a nervous exhale.

"You, the bewitching, Queen of Hufflepuff, are shy," Sirius stated with a small smile.

"You find me bewitching?" Amara replied slightly breathlessly, raising an immaculate brow at him, recovering her composure just enough to allow her confidence to regain control.

"So what if I did?" Sirius asked, his voice softening as he stepped closer to her.

Amara's heart began to pound in her chest as it suddenly occurred to her how close they were standing, how warm and soft his hand was around her own, and how bright and inviting his smile was. She would only have to take another step forward before she could-

Taking a step back, Amara cleared her throat, letting go of his hand.

"I should, uh, I've got to-" she said before breaking off, unable to think up an excuse.

Without another word, she turned, leaving Sirius behind in the darkness, watching her go with an amused expression as he attempted to restrain a distinctly boyish smile.