49. End Examinations

The following day began, for Althea, with the Study of Ancient Runes before a quick lunch and potions. When Snape announced they were brewing a Confusing Concoction, Althea and Neville smiled at each other. They had studied Confusing Concoctions just the previous night and it had been the only potion Neville had gotten correct on his first try.

That night, at midnight, they all gathered in the Astronomy Tower for their Astronomy exam before gathering the next morning for the History of Magic exam. During lunch, Neville quickly quizzed Althea on all the plants they had studied that year. It was the one exam he wasn't stressed about.

The only exam about which neither was stressed was Defense Against the Dark Arts. Lupin had informed them they were to meet him for their exam on the castle grounds. It was the most fun either of them had ever had in an exam. First, they were to wade through a pool containing a grindylow, then a series of potholes containing Red Caps. After that, they had to go across a marsh while ignoring the tricky and misleading hinkypunks before climbing into a trunk to face a boggart.

Neville came out pale and shaky but seemed to have done very well. Althea climbed in soon after him, shaking before it had even appeared. Instantly, all light that came in through the cracks disappeared, leaving her entirely in the dark. Althea closed her eyes, forcing her mind to go away from what she knew would appear.

The moment she felt one of the mangled corpses approach, she opened her eyes, shouting, "Ridikulus!"

The corpse shifted, changing into her mother. The darkness disappeared and she quickly slipped out, looking a little pale, but nonetheless very pleased with herself.

As she passed Professor Lupin, he said, "Excellent, Althea. Full marks, once again."

She smiled. "Thank you, Professor."

Harry had already finished as well, so the two of them waited together for Hermione and Ron to finish. Hermione was just entering the trunk with the boggart when Althea said, "What do you think her greatest fear is?"

"No idea," Harry said with a small shrug.

There was no need to wonder further, for the next moment, Hermione burst out of the trunk, screaming.

"Hermione!" Lupin exclaimed, severely startled. "What's the matter?"

"P-P-Professor McGonagall!" she cried. "Sh-She said I'd failed everything!"

Despite how distressed Hermione was, Althea and Ron could not help but share incredulous looks. Once she had calmed down, however, the four of them began to make their way up toward the school. There, standing at the top of the steps, was Cornelius Fudge himself. Convulsively, Althea jumped behind Ron, who was the tallest. Hermione, the only one far enough back to notice, frowned.

"Hello there, Harry!" Fudge called cordially. "Just had an exam, I expect? Nearly finished?"

"Yes," Harry replied as Althea huddled closer behind Ron, her heart pounding in her chest.

The absolute last thing she wanted was to be outed by the Minister of Magic himself.

She had just begun to hope she would get away with it when suddenly, a voice called, "Althea!"

She jumped, looking over Fudge's shoulder to see her mother's smiling face. Fudge turned in surprise. The moment he caught sight of her face, however, he scowled. Althea stepped toward her mother, her heart continuing to pound. Eliana frowned at the sight of her daughter so frightened, but the moment her eyes landed on Fudge, she too tensed. Harry, Ron, and Hermione all frowned, brows furrowed as they watched.

"Minister," Eliana said coldly. "Althea, come."

"Don't suppose you've seen any old friends lately, have you, Eliana?" Fudge asked icily.

"No, I haven't," Eliana said so fiercely Althea's friends nearly gasped. "Althea, come on."

Without another word, Althea rushed after her, avoiding the eyes of everyone. The moment they were inside, Eliana pulled her daughter into her office, her eyes wide and scared as she asked, "What did he want? Why is he here? Was he interrogating you?"

"No," Althea said shakily. "Mum, he was just talking to Harry. He's here to execute Hagrid's hippogriff Buckbeak."

"Thank Merlin," Eliana sighed, suddenly looking ten years older. Remembering herself, she crossed behind her desk as she said, "I nearly forgot. Here's your end-of-the-year good-luck ramen."

"Thank you," Althea replied softly. "I've got Divination, so I'll see you later."

Still shaking, Althea began the long walk upstairs to the entrance to Divination, her covered bowl in hand. Sitting down by the ladder, she began to eat, knowing she must despite how sick to her stomach everything was making her feel. She knew they would have questions. How could they not? But she couldn't bear to answer them.

.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione were sitting down at lunch, eating silently.

Finally, Harry set down his fork, asking, "What was that? What's Thea's family got to do with Fudge?"

"I'm not sure," Hermione admitted. "Now that I think about it, though, have either of you ever actually heard Thea talk about any of her family other than her mother?"

Harry and Ron frowned, thinking.

"I don't think so," Harry said finally. "I don't even think I've heard her mention her dad."

"Well, I don't think she knows who he is," Ron admitted. "I overheard Mum and Dad talking about it over the summer. They don't know who Thea's dad is either."

"Maybe her dad is someone dangerous," Hermione said suddenly, going pale. "What if..."

"What?" Harry asked, frowning.

Hermione hesitated a moment before she finally said, "Nothing. Surely not. I'm being stupid."

"Come on," Ron said, glancing at his watch. "We've got to get up to Divination Harry so we're not late."