34. Tremors

Althea was still in the same stall half an hour later, long after the adults had left. Harry had to quickly go so he could return in time, but Hermione went after her, looking concerned.

"Thea," she called softly.

"Go on without me," Althea called back, her voice weak and quiet sounding.

"Thea," Hermione protested.

"Go, Hermione," Althea snapped.

Hermione was stunned into silence. Not once since the very first day they met on the Hogwarts Express had Althea ever snapped at her.

"I'll see you back at the dorms," Hermione said finally.

The moment she was gone, Althea covered her mouth with her hand, withholding a sob.

.

November 1976

Sirius and James hadn't moved since Amara ran after her brother. Neither knew what to say or do. They had arrived at the tower, both talking over the potion and wondering what Amara had grabbed from the kitchens on her way up when they heard footsteps approaching. Assuming them to belong to Amara, they had quickly shouted out greetings, only to be surprised to find a far different person facing them.

Now, Sirius and James were sharing guilty and unsure looks, but the moment Amara's sobs reached them, they shared looks of concern.

"I'll go see if she's okay," Sirius said, instantly rushing down the steps, slowing as she came into sight. Sitting down beside her, he asked softly, "You okay?"

She shook her head, rubbing at her eyes in a vain attempt to rid herself of her tears. Unsure what else to do, Sirius wrapped an arm around her shoulders. Then came something he had not expected. With a pained sniffle, Amara wrapped both arms around him, burying her head in his shoulder.

Sirius tensed slightly, unsure what exactly he was meant to do, but before Amara could notice that he had tensed, he wrapped his other arm around her, pressing his cheek against the top of her head.

"Amara?" a surprised voice said.

Sirius and Amara looked up, surprised to see Eliana. Approaching them, she asked, "Hey, what's wrong?"

When Amara failed to answer, Sirius explained in a quiet voice what had happened.

"I'm really sorry, Amara," Eliana said gently. Hesitating slightly, she said, "I know this is terrible timing, but...Dumbledore is looking for you."

"Right now?" she said in surprise, her voice thick and weary-sounding. "Why?"

"I don't know," Eliana admitted, "but apparently something really bad happened. He looked graver than I've ever seen him."

.

Once Amara had composed herself, which took even longer than it normally would have with the fear of what news Dumbledore had to share, she and Eliana made their way to Dumbledore's office, Amara still shaking.

"I don't know if-" Eliana began.

"Miss Black," Dumbledore said, approaching with her brother following behind him. The siblings avoided each other's eyes. "I would appreciate your joining us."

Eliana nodded, although she still remained confused. Once they had made it to Dumbledore's office and he asked each of them to sit, Amara's shaking had only worsened, and she had to hold Eliana's hand to keep from having a full panic attack.

Dumbledore let out a long breath before he finally said, "There is no easy way to tell either of you this, but I believe it is probably easiest to simply say it. Frankly, well..." He broke off, unsure how exactly to continue. "It's your parents."

"Dead?" Amara's brother said quickly, looking up at Dumbledore with an eerily hopeful expression.

"Yes," Dumbledore replied gravely. "Your village was attacked. When your parents were found to be trying to escape...well, you can assume what happened then."

"Who?" Amara whispered, her voice trembling.

"Voldemort," Dumbledore said. The name had a different effect on each of the three.

Eliana gasped. Amara's brother momentarily had an expression dangerously close to a grin before he fixed his features once again. Amara looked as pale as a ghost.

"All of their possessions were destroyed. All that remains is a little bit of gold in their vault, the entirety of which they left to you," Dumbledore said in a solemn voice, giving Amara a pitying glance as her brother received the news of his inheritance with a small nod. "Both of you will, of course, have my permission to leave school for as long as you need to see to the funeral."

"No," they both said instantly.

Dumbledore raised his eyebrows in surprise.

"Just burn them," Amara said bitterly. "It's more care than they ever showed us."

With that, she attempted to get to her feet, but it was only with the support of Eliana she made it out of the office and down the spiral stairs. The moment she had reached it, she broke into a run, slipping into the first bathroom she could. When Eliana followed her in, she could hear a mixture of vomiting and sobbing coming from the closest stall.

.

December 1993

When Althea returned to the school, she instantly made her way from the Entrance Hall to the dorms, skipping dinner and instead crawling into bed, lowering the curtains around her bed. She had only been lying there, deep in thought, for a few hours when she heard the door open.

Hesitantly, Hermione called, "Thea?"

She did not answer. Hermione hovered a moment before she turned back toward the door, leaving her in peace.