69

-• the final showdown •-

The day of the trial

"All rise," the bailiff announces.

The court audience rises as the Judge walks in, and following the lady, they all settle down again. Taranya tries to reel in her panicked breathing. Her gaze searches the doors for any sign of her husband, but he's still not here. The two separated this morning when he said he has something important to do. So she drove to the court with her brothers. Now she's sitting in the middle of Agastya and Vivaan, Yuvaan on Agastya's left and Ayush next to him. Arush couldn't make it due to the complications at their company.

The journalists are here, ready to get fresh updates on the proceedings of the trial, thus eliminating any chances of recovering their reputation if things go wrong. But it is also their golden opportunity at ensuring Yuvraaj Singh Chauhan's full vindication.

The Chairman sits on the front bench beside his secretary. Having pushed the blame on Yuvraaj, he had very shamelessly shared his disappointment with the public, lying through his teeth that he had no idea something so horrendous was going on behind his back, and if he did, he'd have been the first to put Yuvraaj behind the bars. That his heart breaks for the young man, because they're family, but he won't and can't stand injustice. Taranya had almost barfed out aloud at the screen.

"Vakil sahib, you may begin," the judge allows after she details everyone about the trial.

The prosecutor, Harivansh Sisodiya, nods and gets up from his desk, approaching the defendant's table where Yuvraaj Singh Chauhan sits, with his body broad like a mountain, and face as impassive as the first snow of the upcoming storm. There is no trace of guilt on his face, and rightfully so, but he is yet to prove that.

"How old are you, Mr. Chauhan?"

"39."

"And how old were you when you became the director of Mankind Medicare?"

"19."

"I'm sorry? Did I hear you right? Did you just say 19?" The prosecutor repeats in mock disbelief.

"Yes," Yuvraaj asserts. "It was three years after my mother's death."

"And who filled the gap between those three years?"

"My late father, Vikram Singh Chauhan." Yuvraaj answers.

Taranya releases a deep, shaky sigh at the mention of her father. She wished he was alive right now. He may not have been the ideal father who beats up the bad guys to protect his kids, but he did his best, and he deserved to be their father more than anyone else.

"Well, then, who handled the position before your mother?"

"My grandmother."

"And before her?"

Yuvraaj hesitates.

"Before her?"

"My grandfather."

"How many years does that make?" Mr. Sisodiya raises a probing brow.