20

-• rings and promises •-

Taranya

"Letter for you, Princess Taranya!"

Hearing the announcement, I leap from my bed and hurry downstairs, flicking the slit of my skirt open to avoid stumbling. Juyi stands at the end of the staircase, holding a white envelope in her hand, smiling up at me. I apply brakes to my feet at the last stair, holding the wooden railing, my lips splitting in a huge grin. I breathe harshly, throat dry, but I'm doused in excitement from head to toe. "Who is it from?" I ask nervously, nibbling on the inside of my lower lip. She flips over the envelope to read the mailer's name. I hope it's not any brand or social media influencer requesting for a collaboration. I've had enough of those false alarms in the last two days.

"Bharat Times."

"Open it," I whisper, my heart racing a mile a minute.

She tears open an end and tilts the envelope. A letter slips out. After putting the envelope inside her apron pocket, she opens the letter and snaps it straight. "Dear, Taranya," she glances at me. I lean in expectantly. Her face drops and so does my stomach.

"What's wrong? Am I rejected?"

A slow smile grows on her face. "Dear Taranya, we are pleased to inform you-" I shriek, startling her hard enough to drop the letter. I take that as an opportunity to hug her tightly. She yelps, holding onto me feebly as I jump in her arms. Then I pull away and snatch the letter from the floor, skipping upstairs and heading straight to Yuvaan's room. I knock aggressively, waiting impatiently for him to open the door. When he doesn't, I slam my hands violently, so much that the frame shakes. I hear the scratching of feet from the other side. It must be Perry.

The door is pulled open.

"Another minute and I'd have ripped it open!" I exclaim, flinging myself in his open arms. He stumbles back in surprise but saves us from falling by taking the support of the wall behind. Perry bounds around us, tail wagging, tongue flopping, he's desperate to include himself in the little moment of unexpected celebration.

"Wha-What happened?"

I pull away and he releases me gently. My feet touch the floor. I step back and show him the letter. He looks at it, then at me, before slowly taking the letter from my hands and opening it to read. A grin replaces the frown on his face. He meets my eyes, unfiltered pride and joy shining in his dark eyes. "Congratulations! I'm so proud of you!"

I giggle.

"C'mon here, give me another hug." His arms open willingly this time. I embrace him fiercely. "Damn, you'll be on TV now!" He beams at me.

I nod.

"What time will it be?"

I shrug. "I don't know. Initially, I was planning to start with weather forecasting. But not anymore, I don't want to waste my time. I want to start as a news anchor straight away. It's a big network company, so I'll have to be a little patient. Maybe not a prime time slot, but I'll make do with what I get for now. Then I'll work my way up."

He looks at me, and his eyes convey appreciation and wonder. "You've it all sorted."

I take the letter from his hands and fold it again, fiddling with it as I nod my head. "I do. From a really long time. I've it all planned."

"That's incredible." He whispers, in awe of me. I feel my chest swell with pride. There's nothing more beautiful than having the people you look up to, looking at you with enormous respect and admiration. "You're no longer the annoying sixteen year old we met five years ago." He cups my cheek.