66

-• two down •-

Taranya

"Tara, we're going live soon." The assistant director informs. I pull away from the make up artist and nod at him, giving him a thumbs up before sending away the make up artist with a thank you.

"Looking good?" I ask the cameraman.

He confirms with a nod.

The assistant director claps his hands, silencing the studio. "Alright, going live in three, two, and one!"

The teleprompter comes to life. I plaster a professional smile on my face.

"Namaste, welcome to Bharat Newsline. It's 10 am in the morning. I'm Taranya Singh Chauhan. We'll get you all the new stories we are tracking this morning, including the situation on the ground in Kashmir and also the aftermath of the cyclone, but first let's take a quick look at the headlines." I take a breath, before continuing.

"Automatic weapons fired in Kashmir violence. Mobs vandalised the armoury and set houses on fire. Security Forces including Assam rifles and the Army hold flag marches in the capital."

"Chaudhary's Bhartiya Janata Dal to hold mega plenary today. Office bearers to meet ahead of foundation day."

My attention divides between the teleprompter and the Chief Editor who comes rushing in through the double doors. I don't pull my eyes off the screen as I continue giving the headlines, but I'm sure I'm about to need improvisation. As soon as the thought processes in my head, Mr. Khemwal, the assistant director informs me through the bluetooth earpiece about the big breaking news I need to give immediately.

I send him a quick nod and he pats the broadcast technician's back, leaning down to the line of computers they work on. The teleprompter displays the news item I'm needed to deliver and I stop giving the headlines after the fifth.

"We'll resume the headlines shortly after but there's a big breaking news we've just received. Income Tax department raids...... Rajawat Corporation's Rajawat Motors over tax evasion allegations." I finish off in shock, glancing towards my bosses who prompts me to continue through the shock. "The CEO and Managing Director of the billion dollar business empire, Mr. Shourya Singh Rajawat has been taken for interrogation this morning." My heart almost stops. The teleprompter switches back to the main headlines. "We'll keep giving you the updates but for now, let's go through the remaining headlines."

For the next fifteen minutes until the first break, I'm forced to sit through the shock of my husband's arrest as I professionally continue my role of a news reporter.

"What the fuck?" I leap off the chair and leave the desk side, exiting the set as soon as the cameras go off. "Where's my bag?" I demand. Nitya brings me my phone and I unlock the device, ignoring the multiple pair of eyes lingering on me curiously. I dial Rudra's phone number and the call goes through but he doesn't pick up. "Fuck!" I rake a hand through my open hair. "Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!" I pace back and forth in front of the vanity chair, redialling my husband's number. From the peripheral vision, I see Mr. Khemwal approach me. "You're heartless!"

"I'm sorry," he whispers, "I had no choice. Is he picking up?"

I shake my head. "No, he isn't. Jesus Christ, I'm losing it!" My hand trembles violently. The phone slips and clatters to the ground.