28

-• always •-

Rudra

It's not how many times you pray to the Lord to fulfill your wish, it's how long you wait until it's fulfilled.

It took me five years to get Taranya on the front seat of my car. I never thought these little insignificant details of life will matter so much to me. I'm a greed addict. I've always been hungry for more, for larger parts of life. Maybe that's one reason why I never realised when Taranya became so important to me. She happened in little details, in the ones that I shook my head at, didn't think need any glance, let alone a thought. She took advantage of that. And slowly, inch by inch, took over my entire world. And I love her for that. I love how she didn't need my attention to make herself seen, she was there, and with time, I just started to notice her more.

"Stop smiling, it's so creepy."

I glance at her. She's focused ahead. "I'm happy."

"Of course, you are. Everything always happens according to how you want it to happen."

"Nothing ever happens according to how I want it to happen."

"Really?" She mocks.

"Really," I turn a street at the signal. "If that was the case, I'd have started off as a good man. I'd have studied diligently with my own identity to get where I'm today. I'd have my parents along with me. I'd have approached you like a normal person. I'd have taken you out on fancy, over-the-top dates. I'd have doted on you, adored you, loved you and I'd have let that realisation make me happy rather than terrified. I'd have taken you to meet my parents." I look at her. She's transfixed. Makes my breath hitch. "I'd have proposed you on some cliche, beautiful hill station." I refocus on the road ahead. A smile takes over my lips at my free, unbound, unreal imagination. "I'd have married you under normal circumstances."

She wrings her fingers together on her lap. It makes me want to reach over and cup those restless hands, soothe them with my own.

"And moreover, I'd have my love reciprocated." My gaze flickers towards her.

"Bold of you to assume I'd have fallen in love with you."

"You would have." I say with certainty. "I can just feel it."

She doesn't say anything. Doesn't counter. Doesn't try to argue. I lean over and turn on the stereo. A romantic song starts playing.

We stop at a restaurant for dinner. The drive is short. But we started late. It's already nine pm. By the time we reach, it'll be over ten thirty. And I don't think either of us is willing to cook anything edible from the scratch.

"I'll have mushroom cream soup and bread." Then she puts down the menu book.

I frown.

I don't know whether it's her taste buds that have changed, or if she's on some sort of special diet. She has been eating only soups lately. That's basically what her normal diet consists of. It's weird. Because I remember this woman as a big foodie. She was never hesitant when it came to trying new things.

"Are you sure that's all?" I ask her. "The farmhouse is empty and we'll have to wait a night to restock the pantry since we're going there on a short notice. You might get hungry. Eat something heavy. I've heard their Biryani is really-" the waiter starts to nod as well, but she cuts me off.