16

-• familar strangers•-

Taranya

I couldn't go back home right away.

After stepping outside the hotel, I drove to Tower Bridge and took a stroll there. The place was bustling with people. It was so easy to spot out the locals from the overwhelming number of tourists. People who amble here regularly rarely come for the picturesque view it offers. This place is a part of their life. And hence, never bothered with. Unlike the tourists. They look around with generous enthusiasm, as if they had been waiting their whole life for this moment. But I'm sure a few more years here, and they wouldn't even bother to look away from their phones to glance at this place.

People and places are so alike. The only difference being, places don't get tired of the familiar. People, unfortunately do.

That's the thing about familiarity.

You meet new people, get excited about their little quirks and strange habits, and eventually with time, stop getting excited. Perhaps, even stop noticing.

What's more disappointing is that you never think that'd happen. But it does. And you realise when it's too late.

I look up at the sky.

I wonder whether Mom and Dad are looking down on me. What are they thinking? Did I make the right decision? Are they furious at me? I didn't think I'd get married like this. I wanted it to be a grand, most beautiful moment of my life. I wanted to take my partner to meet them, introduce them. I wanted my partner to smile at me and hold my hand when we come to them for blessings.

"I'm sorry," I whisper to the two lone stars sparkling in the dark sky. "I can't bring him with me to meet you guys. I'm not proud of him. I don't love him. And I'm sorry, I'm about to lie to my remaining family." Hands clasped to my chest, I brace the railing and lean in, lowering my gaze to the river beneath the bridge.

My phone rings in my pocket. I fish it out, freaking out a little internally. I lied that my friend's mother insisted I stay for dinner. Vivaan Bhai then asked me for her number. I had no choice but to give it, hoping he doesn't call her to cross check. We're friends but not close enough that she'll lie for my sake to my brother.

Arush's name on the screen puts me at ease.

"Hello,"

"Shourya said you left the hotel an hour ago. Where are you? Why are you still not home? Are you okay? Did you car break down? Send me your address, I'm on my way." He fires questions one after another, not stopping to breath, let alone hear me. "Say something! I'm freaking out."

"Take a breath," I say calmly.

"What?"

"Breath. You know how to breath? Inhale and-"

"Shut up, smartass. I know how breathing works." To prove, he inhales deeply, and then exhales. "Hear that? Now my turn. Where are you?"

"Tower Bridge."

"What are you doing there?" He asks. "I thought you went to the hotel to accept his proposal. Did he reject you? I understand why he would do that, but please don't jump. I have an important exam next week."

I snort out a chuckle. "He proposed me first."

"He can still reject you."

"That's not how a proposal works." I counter.

"It does. What if he realises he'd regret it?"

"Excuse me?"

"From a man's point of view, you're very hard to deal with."