9

Happy Dussehra ✨

-• you don't fall in love with stars •-

Rudra

Choice is an armour of a skilled manipulator.
Makes you think you're in control of your decisions, when it's actually them.

I look at the hand offered to me.

Then at the people having their eyes on me. She knows I can't reject her in front of all these people. And she's well benefitting herself from my helpless situation. I put away the flute of my red wine and take her hand into mine, getting up before I lead her to the dance floor. She follows me wordlessly.

In the center of stage, I turn around and pull her closer by her waist. She gasps softly when her chest brushes against mine. I stop myself from rolling my eyes. My arm goes around her waist, her hand settles on my shoulder, the other encloses with mine.

A soft violin music starts playing in the background.

Her eyes don't leave my face. They stare at me intensely, kind adoration in them. She's besotted. I twirl her around, uncomfortable under her gaze. Her eyes flicker back to stare at me openly.

"Why so cold?" She murmurs.

I look down at her. Her sparkling blue gown shimmers in the spotlight.

"At least give me a chance."

I spin her away, hands not breaking apart, and I use that to pull her back into my arms. "You're a life late."

She chuckles. "Really? I don't think so. I think I'm right on time."

I smile mirthlessly. "Doesn't matter what you think. And I'd suggest you stop making eyes at me. Not very dignified of you."

Shame fills her eyes. She pulls back abruptly. I bow at her in respect before walking off the stage. The Chairman raises a brow at me in question from the distance, I choose to shrug off the matter and head upstairs to release myself from the growing suffocation. I step out in the fresh air and take a deep breath, leaning on the balcony railing to calm down.

I look up at the sky.

The melancholic grey clouds drift slowly into the never-ending darkness. And the dark so consuming it swallows every light. There is no star in the sight.

I'm tired.

I'm tired of missing her.

Fishing out my phone, I take a leap of faith and press the call option. It rings. I inhale a deep breath, my hand suddenly starts to sweat. I wipe it to my trousers, holding the device in my other hand.

A beep, followed by a quiet, "Hello."

I flinch so hard the phone leaps into air. I throw myself over the railing to catch it and lose my balance. "Oh shit!" One hand holding the grill, the other holding the phone, I hang like a loser from my own balcony.

Fuck my life.

"Hello?" The voice resonates.