18

-• fabricated truths •-

Taranya

Time skipped by so fast it was already the day of my graduation. The event had commenced in the morning, and it lasted well until three o clock in the afternoon. Agastya and Janet had come to the function as my moral support, stayed for my speech and then went home because we are flying to Jaigarh day after tomorrow and we have a lot to pack at home. My brothers couldn't come, I had thrown a well deserved, spoiled feat over it, but then moved on pretty quickly.

The jitters of wearing the gown and tossing the caps in the air drained down halfway through the ceremony and now I was in the library, along with my three friends, and we were doing this weird photo shoot that showed off our degrees less and our dresses more.

"Stop sexualisng the gown. We've to give it back." Nazia rolls her eyes.

Anna snorts. "I'm sexy. Not my fault I sexualise everything that I put on." She sweeps her dark black hair over her shoulder, her bronze skin literally shining.

Nazia shakes her head in disbelief.

"Let loose and have fun," I shove her playfully on the shoulder.

She gives me a stink eye. "I'm just waiting for you guys to get done because I'm hungry and you promised me a chicken shawarma."

I chuckle. "I know, I remember. Once they're done, we'll leave."

My phone rings in that moment. I read the name on the screen and excuse myself. "Hello,"

"I just landed."

I close my eyes in exasperation. "I seriously don't understand the logic behind this."

"What?"

"You're flying to London to take me out on a date when I'm coming to India in two days!"

"It's practical."

"It's expensive."

"I can afford." He argues. I blink. That's true. He can. I just find it a tad bit dramatic, and exaggerated. Who flies thousands of miles to take their contracted future wife on a date on the day of her graduation? "And we need to breeze the rumours. Me coming to London on the day of your graduation to meet you will spread the word that we had something even before you came to India. If your brother asks you why you want to marry me when it's been less than two days you're home, what will you say?"

"That you're the man of my dreams?" I mock. "Or that it was love at first sight, except that it's probably my hundredth time seeing you. Or you're my knight in shining armour. Or Stockholm Syndrome."

"I never kidnapped you."

"You bet?"

He falls quiet. "Okay - I might have, but it was nothing like the traditional kidnap. I held you hostage. For like, an hour or so. That's not- that's not kidnapping."

"By definition, holding someone hostage by force without their consent is kidnapping, Shourya."

"Do they not take time in consideration?"