27

-• honeymoon •-

Taranya

I touch my lips, wondering if they have grown a mind of their own to be so boldly reciprocating a drunk mistake.

Then I look down at him. He's sleeping so peacefully. Lips puckered out, slightly red, and I can notice the bite marks, along with the smudged rose balm I had applied before he stained it. My stomach drops to a new low. Instead of regret, another wave of temptation washes over me. I shake my head, chastising myself internally for even thinking about it.

I need to sleep.

He has taken up the entire bed. I look around the room and spot the couch near his bookshelf. That'll do.

As I turn to leave, an unfamiliar voice startles me. "He hasn't taken out his contact lens."

"What the fuck?" I look around the room, at the walls particularly. The voice seems to have come through them.

"I'm sorry. I did not mean to scare you." My gaze zeroes on the speaker installed near the wall TV. I walk closer.

Is it talking to me?

"I'm Yara."

"Oh," is my response. I'm yet to process that an AI is talking to me, like one human does with another human. A completely normal conversation.

"He hasn't removed his contact lenses. Sleeping with them drastically increases the chances of damaging his eyes. If you could please remove them for him, I won't have to keep the emergency number on a speed dial."

I lock my arms on my back, looking over my shoulder at the sleeping figure of my husband. "Actually, I don't use contact lenses. So I don't have any idea how to handle them."

"That's okay. I can help you out with step by step instructions. You've to follow them, that's it."

I blow my cheeks, releasing the air dramatically that makes my chest sink in defeat. "Okay, what needs to be done first?"

"Wash your hands."

"Right. That's given. Basic requirement." I blabber.

"Yeah," he replies awkwardly.

Having an awkward conversation with an AI? You've done the unthinkable, Tara. Hats off to you.

Walking into the bathroom, I turn the tap on and wash my hands clean. I come out while wiping my hands to a dry towel. Yara helps me with the next steps. It was easy. Except for the part where I had to stretch Shourya's eyes open and gently remove the lens. That was weird and uncomfortable.

"There must be an eye drop in the drawer next to the bed." I reach for the nightstand drawer. "His side." He corrects me. Nodding, I lean over Shourya's body and balance myself on the right elbow, using my left hand to open the drawer.

"Woah," the inside of the drawer reveals a compact medical store. I get distracted. There are all kinds of medicines inside. Tablets, capsules, tonics, even syringes and vials.

"Soha eye drops." Yara's voice brings back my attention.

"Oh yeah, right." I pick up the tiny bottle and retract. "How many?"

"Two in each." He answers.

Once I'm done, I put the bottle back in its place and wipe away the excess that slipped down Shourya's eyes. "That's it?"

"Yes, thank you."

I nod and get up to leave the bed.

"I've another favour to ask."